Our Factory Re-Arrange: help appreciated

dwanehollands

Hi Guys,

OK, it's been a very, very long time since I've posted. Or it seems like a long time. We're purchasing a new guilotine and it should be arriving around Christmas day or a little after. It won't fit where our current guilotine is, and I have always said that the guilotine needed to be placed in a different place anyway, since we walk twice the length of factory for every job in some cases.

So I'm taking advantage and have really pushed for a factory re-arrange. Im madly trying to place everything correctly and have actually built a 3D model of the front factory and all of our equipment. Some benches have been ommitted since I believe they are just 'junk magnets'. "Where am I going to put this junk? Oh, here's a place"

Here are some photo's of the overall factory. (the main 4 colour press is not moving, neither is the console). Just about everything else can move. This is my current progress.

This first image is of the overall factory at my current re-arrange progress
Picture8.png

This is a close of up of the GTO/NCR cell. The Stapler is currently 'inside' the bench as I'm considering cutting the bench to fit it in that position.
Picture9.png

This is a close up of the Sakurai, Guilotine, folder and Collator.
Picture10.png

This was all created in the FREE 3D application by Google called Google sketchup. I just dug in and learnt it as fast as I could and its seriously the easiest 3D I've ever used. I created all this in just over 2 solid weeks.

If you'd like to move around in a 3D model of our factory you can download my SKP file:
http://www.hollands.com.au/GoogleSketchup/FactoryIn3D.skp

And download either,

The FREE Viewer Application:
Google SketchUp Viewer

Or Actually Google Sketchup (FREE) which should allow you to edit aswell:
Google SketchUp Website

At this stage I'm putting it out there to see if there are any comments. Kinda looking for some inspiration aswell!

factory arrangement

factory arrangement

Hi just looked at your snap shots, firstly look at your stock levels and WIP, does it need to be there, by reducing overstorage can create significant space you never though you had, at the last factory i looked at, i create 14 sq m by removing unnessary waste.
Could you highlight what is storage, raw material, WIP and also were is the entry point of raw material and the exit of finished goods

ATB Richard

It's hard to tell from your drawings if this is possible, but here are some suggestions...

- create a plant layout where the raw paper is received or stored in one end of the building and the finished product is shipped at the other end of the building

- minimum travel distance and minimal WIP queues between areas so work is a continuous flow

- cutters, folder, stitchers, drillls, and any other equipment that creates paper dust should be as far away from offset presses and platemakers as possible. This will reduce spoilage waste time and costs. Many companys create separate rooms or divided rooms for the press and finishing

I dont know what it looks like now but yes you have issues. it is too bad the sakuri is not where the cutter is tucked along the near side wall.then you could put the gto by it and have the presses in one location. I guess it mostly depends on what you print on each press and by the looks of things you do a lot of collated items. I would put the cutter by the garage door. and the folders where the cutter is to try to get one larger comon wip/ paper for press area in the middle. of course it would help if we knew the rest of the office traffic pattern.

also I cant down load your file

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back