Overprinting Silver Foil (Customer requirement)

herbert

Hi all

Please can you help...........we are interested in foiling a Job on the Bobst in Silver foil, then overprinting with 4 colour on our Heidelberg 102.........can this be done and does it need to be a special foil ?

People have mentioned the foil may reheat on the press and cause some issue's on the blankets etc.

This is kind of work that will put hair and your chest, just so you can rip it out trying to get it to work. The only ink and printing processes that I have ever seen really stick well to foil (in my limited printing experience) is engraving. My suggesting start contacting foil reps. Of course they may all say yes for their brand to get a commission sale.

I can see foil sticking to the blankets really easy also.

I have done offset and then had foil put on around it, but never the other way around. This could be good if you could get it to work. Trial and error my friend. If it works well you will put a few engraving press operators out of business, since they will claim this is the only way to put ink on foil.

Brent W.
Mankato MN

Morning,
I am in the pre-media department for a packaging company,
We have done printing on foil (prism) board allot. Your ink company should be able to provide you with the proper inks.
We had no major issues with ink sticking or the foil coming off on the blankets.
We also have done some printing with spot foil we have a finishing company we work with on this job they lay the silver foil on our cut board stock in the area that requires the foil look
than they ship it back and then we print on the board die cut and then glue up the boxes.
This is somewhat a long process 7-10 days once we get them the board.
The first time we did this job it work perfectly, but the second time the finishing company applied the foil to a 5/8th gripper it should have been 1/2 inch gripper it was also shifted over a 1/2 inch to the right, and the foil was a 16th cocked left to right going up hill, this caused our print shop to put in about 3 full days on this job.
Next time we will print the job first the ship out to have the foil placed.
Hope this helps.
CSM20

Sorry for the almost double posting, I guess I have seen some printing done, mainly labels (like wine) that look like it has been foil and flat ink. I think screen printing works on foil. Probably gravure process or also flexo may be the best hope.

I am sure you can find a way or you will probably have to outsource it. Hopefully you have the right people who will find a way to make the ink stick, look right, and once again stay on the foil, and then document how they did it so next time it wont be as difficult. But keep that ink on the foil, meaning can you easily scrape it off with your fingernail?

Brent W.

Hi Again

Hi Again

If we can find a foil that wont come off onto the blanket we have a solution on the Ink side.......I think the blankets need wiping every 1000 sheets.........

You need to get imprintable foil. It is possible... at least on the UV side of printing; don't know about conventional. We have products from three suppliers that have an imprintable (or overprintable) foil product, so pretty much any foil supplier should have something that would work for you.
Before you commit on something, get both foil and ink supplier in line so that you make sure the materials used are compatible. Take the coverage and detail of the foil into account too, as you might need different release properties of the foil. Overall idea is that the foil is 'what it is' and the ink or coatings needs to be modified on top of it.

You will need to get inpritable foils and also talk to your ink company. Heidelberg also have Foilstar, a cold foil option you can install on your Heidelberg 102. The Foilstar will be able to apply the foil on the first print station and then you can print on top of the foil, all done in one pass, on line.

Heidelberg does it all. You can't go wrong with them. To bad though these new Ani-Color presses I work next to are not as well built as windmills are.

Brent W.
Mankato, MN

Hi all

Please can you help...........we are interested in foiling a Job on the Bobst in Silver foil, then overprinting with 4 colour on our Heidelberg 102.........can this be done and does it need to be a special foil ?

People have mentioned the foil may reheat on the press and cause some issue's on the blankets etc.

Find a printer who has a offset press with a inline cold foil unit. man roland, Heidelberg, Komori, KBA, they all have them either as an oem or aftermarket unit.

The cost to outsource is probably 1/2 of you tring to do it yourself. If you want the name of a printer with the press and capabilities PM me.

Solution for printing over foil

Solution for printing over foil

Hello Herbert,

I have a solution that can print infinite colors over the top of a foil at our company in the Chicago area. This will be much more effective then printing, converting, overprinting.

We also have a short run solution to do the same so depending on your run length I am sure we can do a great job for you.

Drop me a note, and I will hook you up with the people that can help.

Randy Bice
Research and Development
Taylor Corporation
[email protected]

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back