Packaging in Heidelberg workflow

akalaray

We have two signastations ver3, two meta rips. I need to nest files at the signa. Does anyone have any experience with packaging or nesting files in signa? Has anyone worked with the packaging option?

We don't have packaging option but you can overlap pages with transparent background without packaging license, if that's what you want.

I used the packaging plug-in on Prinect 2 - it worked GREAT.

You have to have "someone" that can successfully save CF2 files from a CAD program for it to work. Once you get the bugs out of that, it works like a charm.

What type of questions do you have. . .?

We do nothing but packaging. I couldn't tell you how to nest a layout in V3 but i can tell you that the packaging option is a no brainer!

We have V4.

My design dept sends me a CF2 file and Signa does the rest. (just drag and drop files into the correct 1ups.) There are clipping path options to help out the nesting that is simple to use.

HB also is in a beta stage now with a Packaging Pro option and it offers some really nice features. We had a Web X demonstration last week.

I've been using the system since November 08 (first time user) and I must say:

I LOVE THIS SYSTEM!!!!!

Glad to hear it PJ. I recall reading a few of your posts before you got it and you weren't speaking so highly of Heidelberg or their product. Good to see you are happy with your new set-up.

Yeah, the sales pitch was very confusing. I don't think the salesman even understood have the stuff that he was proposing. After i went for demos and then finally training it all came together.

The system is very fast and complex. Lots and lots of options. Very few files if not any gave me headaches.
Being in packaging some of the designs that come in are very complex. HB eats em up!

The packaging software is great. Well worth the $$$.

Support has also been good!

Signastation Packaging - nesting of PDF 1-up content into the CFF2 based layout

Signastation Packaging PRO - all above, plus ability to import one-up, saved in EPS, PS, PDF, AI, CF2, converting it into editable format, editing lines (into cutting, creasing,...), step and repeat. Final result is CFF2 based layout, ready for PDF impositioning

Prinect Package designer (Heidelberg - Prinect Package Designer - Overview) is new CAD programme, which enables structural design of single one-up, using libraries. Further you can do 3D model (and save it into VRML), do step and repeat with max. usage of available space...

Janez

Please somebody have Apple Yellow Box fo Windows? I've to install SignaStation 8 into PC, but I've lose my very old installer, it is indispensable for pc installer, I've only the serial number.

I have a background of both commercial litho and packaging with both Preps and Signa. Signa is hands down the best commercial litho layout/imposition software on the market. My opinion diverges when it comes to packaging. I have recently evaluated Prinect/Signa vs. Esko's Suite with Plato + ArtiosCAD. These appear to me to be the only two really serious players in the packaging market right now. One is very well established here and the other wants a big slice of it.

Heidelberg's CAD program and packaging layout is new - I mean brand new. The previous versions (4.5 and earlier) of Signa + packaging felt like an add-on that was reactionary rather than visionary. The new version is much more robust.

If you love Signa as you already have it and if you are primarily commercial litho with packaging on the side I suggest you stick with Signa. If you are primarily packaging or plan on becoming primarily packaging I suggest that you give Esko's Plato a serious evaluation. Esko has something like two decades of experience and a massive amount of market share (>70% if memory serves) in packaging compared with Heidelberg's brand-new CAD and relatively new packaging function in Signa.

The source of the difference:
CFF2 files are a pain - they contain the die-line and really nothing more. Intelligent meta data for bleeds, margins, smart mark areas, glue flap detection, varnish/ink free area detection, etc. are not carried over. It is my opinion that this is why Heidelberg has jumped (more realistically stuck their small toe) into the CAD arena - to create a proprietary fusion between CAD and imposition like Esko has been doing for a long while with Plato and ArtiosCAD. This allows the import of intelligent meta data and allows automation and intelligence to bridge this step - eventually leading to the end of the need of imposition personnel.

I feel that CAD is an area that is not and will not be a focus for Heidelberg as they are likely only taking it on as a necessary evil to sell other higher margin products (presses, folders, gluers, cutters, CtP equipment, and consumables). On the other hand Esko is a software company that also sells flexographic plate setters and CAD tables - software is their primary focus. It is going to be very interesting to see what Heidelberg does and how much they are willing to commit to getting this done and done right. Packaging is a growth market that they need but their revenue models are not built on developing and selling software. I am beginning to wonder if they are trying to do too many things at the same time.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back