Pandora Imposition Software Issue

Seagull

Hello everyone, long time since my last post but here goes,

I am currently using Pandora version 3 from Kodak for all my packaging imposing, been using it since 2005 and i find it great app for our needs. I am running this app on a Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel core 2 Duo with 8 GB of ram. The issue i am having is that Pandora gets sluggish at times or it will lose the license info and go into demonstration mode. The only way to make Pandora work properly again is to run the Mac OS "Disk Utility" and run "Repair Permissions" then all is back to normal. My thoughts are that i need to upgrade to a more powerful mac. What are the rest of you running this app on ?

We are using Pandora 3.0 strictly on Macs. The first Mac is a MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz Intel core 2 Duo with 2 GB of ram. I was having the the license issue occasionally, but re-starting the app allowed me to select the server for the licence.

The other two are Tower Macs. One is an Intel based machine running OSX 10.6 and the other (our Pandora work horse) is a Power Mac running with 10.4

Thanks for the reply, are you having the license issue on the towers at all ?

Yes we are at times. We are using the Pandora Plus version which allows a network licence. It allows any operator at any station to use Pandora so long as others aren't using it. Sometimes, a second person tries to launch Pandora while another operator is using it and the "demo mode" happens. Both operators now have to close Pandora and the person who ended up in demo mode can now re-launch and he will be OK now. This is annoying, I would like to see a message indicating that it is in use before going to demo mode.

We don't appear to have the sluggish performance you speak of.

I'm not sure about your license issue. If you have a floating license on a server, it may be a network connectivity issue but I wouldn't think you'd have to go as far as repairing permissions to restore it though.
As for sluggishnes, it seems like your system should run Pandora just fine. Where does the slowness show up, starting a new job, navigating to add content, redrawing the screen when zooming?
It may be that Pandora isn't using as much ram as is probably available. One thing that I've done is to right click on the application and pick Show Package Contents. Inside the contents folder there is an info.plist file. If you open this file in a text editor, find the lines that look like this:
</dict>
<key>VMOptions</key>
<string>-Xms128m -Xmx2048m</string>
</dict>
<key>LSMinimumSystemVersion</key>
<string>10.3.3</string>

See what you've got in the place of 2048. If you've never changed it, it may be 512. Try increasing it to 1024 or more. If you change this and Pandora simply won't launch, reduce the number until it will. This is how mine is set up. I did have a no-launch problem following a safe reboot and had to reduce this number to 1024 to get Pandora running. After the recent system update for 10.7.3 along with Java update, I was able to return this number to 2048.

hey dpierce, thanks for the info i changed mine to 2048 and it seems to be working a lot smoother. The trouble i am having is sometimes when i drag an item from the content panel it would just freeze and all i could do was save the file, then quit and reboot. I am hoping your suggestion for the info.plist solves this issue. I will post back next week with my results, thanks again !

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back