Pantone / Cmyk color matching question

Hello folks,

We are running jobs for a large convention that has several printed pieces. The Design firm chose to use Paqntone 021c for the primary color. The jobs are color critical and need to match. Some of them will be going in a kit.

We were given files with the CMYK breakdown of 0-78-91-0. It does not match the Pantone 021c. Indesign, Photoshop, and QXP all gives us different breakdowns. 021c was only used for mugs, pens and other none paper products.

Is 021c out of the CMYK gamut?

Is the following true?
Pantone spot colors are intended to be printed as solid inks and not as mixed CMYK colors. Only about 50% of Pantone spot colors can be matched in CMYK. 25% of the colors will be close. And 25% are not even close.

My suggestion is to run them as a 5 color job to include 021c.

Thanks for any thoughts or comments.

Inhouse Printer.

Is 021c out of the CMYK gamut?

Is the following true?
Pantone spot colors are intended to be printed as solid inks and not as mixed CMYK colors. Only about 50% of Pantone spot colors can be matched in CMYK. 25% of the colors will be close. And 25% are not even close.

My suggestion is to run them as a 5 color job to include 021c.

Thanks for any thoughts or comments.

Inhouse Printer.

Yes, yes, and yes.

021c (orange) is significantly out of gamut for most CMYK inks/ media. Closest I have seen is between 6 and 8 dE

rule of thumb, if the chosen color looks "bright", "vibrant", or nearly "fluorescent", 4-color printing will NOT match.

try to get your hands on a Color Bridge set. Best resource for what you can and can not match.

ALSO!!
make sure tho watch if you are printing on both coated and uncoated sheets. Colors in come of the gamut ranges can shift drastically from one to the other. 021 is pretty stable, but watch your 4-color matches. Blues and Oranges can be some of the worst.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back