PANTONE Extended Gamut Coated Guide

NathanD

The PANTONE Extended Gamut Coated guide has been on the market for over a year now, and I was wondering if anyone has bought it / attempted using it. If so, how was your experience?

If not, why?

The PANTONE Extended Gamut Coated guide has been on the market for over a year now, and I was wondering if anyone has bought it / attempted using it. If so, how was your experience?

If not, why?

AFAIK the only printshop that Pantone has advertised as buying into their process happens to be the shop - DISC (headquartered in Hauppauge, N.Y.) - that printed the guidebook for Pantone (http://tinyurl.com/zj7wbw4 )

My personal speculation as to why the adoption rate for Pantone's solution is next to zero is that the system, as formulated, is not optimal as an effective extended gamut print manufacturing system.

Last edited:
I have not heard anyone using it. The only printers I saw is on Pantone website. Here is the link:
http://www.pantone.com/extended-gamut-printers

if anyone can give us their opinion please

That's a great link. So I checked it out by going to the listed companies websites (dabob put down your coffee now and hold on to your socks)

Cyber Graphics Memphis, TN - they use what they call "CyberXtendTM" with Orange, Green and Blue - not Pantone's EG Violet ink - so I'm not sure they use the Pantone process at all.

Disc Graphics Happapauge, NY as previously noted are the folks who printed Pantone's guidebook.

Gamse Litho Baltimore, MD - no mention of any kind of extended gamut process

Graphic Packaging International, Inc Wayne, NJ - no mention of any kind of extended gamut process

Hammer Packaging West Henrietta, NY - they list their process as "HammerPRISMâ„¢" but don't descibe it

Metro Packaging Wayne, NJ - They're no longer in business having been acquired by Graphic Packaging which as previously noted do not mention any kind of extended gamut process

MPS South Plainfield, NJ - no mention of any kind of extended gamut process

Rohrer Corporation Wadsworth, OH - no mention of any kind of extended gamut process

Thoro Packaging Corona CA - They state that they use PANTONE® Hexachrome Six-Color Process - a product Pantone abandoned some 20 years ago.

Transcontinental Ultra Flex Brooklyn, NY & Global - states "In-house expanded gamma [sic] color separation" which of course is not what Pantone's system is.

So, something appears not to be what it claims to be (or not to be).

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back