Paper straws?

Keith

There have been several threads about plastic so I thought I'd start my own. Just read an article in a local paper. A regional restaurant, The Green Turtle, is switching from plastic straws to biodegradable paper straws. I only have one question. Will tree-hugging environmentalists leave us alone about the print industries' use of paper? They will have to change their email signature from "Please think about the environment before you print this email" to "Please think about the environment before you slurp your soda through a straw".

The past is the future. paper straws were the norm when I was a kid.

BTW: In yet another Canadian first (will we ever get tired of winning?) A&W Canaduh announced that it plans to eliminate plastic straws at its all restaurants across Canada by the end of 2018 – making it the first fast-food chain of its type in North America to do so:

https://canadify.com/2018/06/08/aw-c...e-end-of-2018/

I'm sure that the tree huggers will use this as an environmental straw man argument.

And if you don't conform to this initiative there is a well trained swat team ready to deal with your failure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ODQfDcY7jQ

Meanwhile in other news:

Norway's government was sued by a convicted murder in January who claimed his human rights were being violated. One of the complaints: having to eat with plastic utensils. And Milacron Holdings Corp., which announced the first commercial use of its see-through plastic Klear Can to S&W Foods International, part of Del Monte, to package pineapples.

Last edited:
Meanwhile in other news:

Norway's government was sued by a convicted murder in January who claimed his human rights were being violated. One of the complaints: having to eat with plastic utensils. And Milacron Holdings Corp., which announced the first commercial use of its see-through plastic Klear Can to S&W Foods International, part of Del Monte, to package pineapples.

Ok, that's the LAST straw!

Hipsters... I don't get nearly as much requests from customers about using 100% recycled paper as I used to, which is fine with me I didn't like it.

Hipsters... I don't get nearly as much requests from customers about using 100% recycled paper as I used to, which is fine with me I didn't like it.

I don't mind it but when you tell them the price difference, suddenly their environmentalism disappears.

It seems that people and their overpopulation are the main cause of environmental pollution and its subsequent deterioration, is there a solution to that? Mother Nature seemed to do pretty well when they were not around.

George does put an interesting and amusing spin on the problem but people need to do what we can because the planet is our home as well as a home to countless other living creatures. How about an environmental golden rule. "Do unto the environment as we would like the environment to do to us." Paper straws seem like a small but good step in the right direction.

The biggest criticism i have heard regarding paper straws is about how this is an example of placing the responsibility for environmental crisis squarely on individuals while it is larger complexes of industries and capitalistic ventures that is to be blamed the most. I have been esp watching public and expert opinions turn that way. I agree in principle but i don't see why we must choose either/or. I think i can still rage about and write petitions against such non compliant organizations AND carry my metallic straw.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back