Parts pricing

nhprinter

I'm sorry, but I really have to vent.

We had a part break on our 2001 46-2 Printmaster today. I won't go into details, but it's called a swing lever it controls the opening and closing of the tail clamp. The part is a piece of white metal about 3 inches long by 1 inch wide.

I called to order the part expecting the worst. Usually a part like this cost around $200 or so. It's ridiculous, but we've gotten use to getting ripped off with part prices so I could have sucked it up. Imagine my surprise when I was quoted $808!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$808???????? Are you kidding me??? It's bad enough that it's not really a "do it yourself" fix so I'm going to have to pay a tech to fix it. This is outright robbery!!

How do they price these parts? Does anyone actually look at it and say: Hey....that looks like we can get around $800 for that.....?

I remember paying almost $400 for what amounted to a washer from Komori, but I think this is worse.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'm searching high and low for a used one with little luck. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I'm not paying $808 for this stupid little part.

I am sure I can HELP! Send me your part # and ser #. I have numerous used parts for that machine. If you like give me a call, Stan IPS,llc. 720-285-9485

Not to defend that price, but pricing is based on a couple of factors. On a part like that that has to be fabricated, the price is the real cost plus the setup to make it. If they are making 10 the setup cost is more significant than if they make 1000. Most manufacturers that i deal with are only making enough to get by, especially Japanese companies who don't believe in stocking parts. My company has seen parts pricing for older model equipment go incredibly from most of our vendors. The other issue is mark up. Most companies are trying to make up for lost sales by increasing pricing which is a very dangerous method in my opinion. When you deal with the big guys like "H" or "K" or "X" these issues are magnified as they think they are the elite vendors.

I am sure I can HELP! Send me your part # and ser #. I have numerous used parts for that machine. If you like give me a call, Stan IPS,llc. 720-285-9485

Thanks Stan. I was able to find the part from one of the service guys in the area, but I'll keep your number for anything I need in the future.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back