PC user trouble with PSP install

SteveRobison

I have had PSP 7.x installed for a number of years while running XP os. and Acrobat 9.x
Only problem noted was Acrobat crashing more often with 9.x

Got a new 32 bit Dell PC running windows 7.0 and reinstalled PSP 7.x, no issues except for the crashing of Acrobat 9.x but it worked most of the time.

Unloaded PSP 7.x and did a clean install of PSP 10. That is when the trouble began.
Sudenly about 80% of the pdf files, I could not open. The top ribbon opposite the Acrobat logo would list my file name and next to that indicate Acrobat was not respoding. The screen was black and blank.

Others I could open, I could not save.

Unloaded Acrobat 9.x and reinstalled hoping ot solve the problem. Nope, didn't help.

Enfocus had me check my permissions. Since I am an administrator, that was not the issue. Had my IT guy double check that for me anyway.

Enfocus support then suggested that I install PSP 8.6. That worked fine. All pdfs were then accessible and able to open and save. Perfect.

Enfocus support then had me uninstall PSP 8.6 and reinstall PSP 10. The thought is that would clean up some installation misbehavior. Well that did not work. The problems with PSP 10 returned.

Anyone here have an idea of what I should do next?

-Steve

I have had PSP 7.x installed for a number of years while running XP os. and Acrobat 9.x
Only problem noted was Acrobat crashing more often with 9.x

Got a new 32 bit Dell PC running windows 7.0 and reinstalled PSP 7.x, no issues except for the crashing of Acrobat 9.x but it worked most of the time.

Unloaded PSP 7.x and did a clean install of PSP 10. That is when the trouble began.
Sudenly about 80% of the pdf files, I could not open. The top ribbon opposite the Acrobat logo would list my file name and next to that indicate Acrobat was not respoding. The screen was black and blank.

Others I could open, I could not save.

Unloaded Acrobat 9.x and reinstalled hoping ot solve the problem. Nope, didn't help.

Enfocus had me check my permissions. Since I am an administrator, that was not the issue. Had my IT guy double check that for me anyway.

Enfocus support then suggested that I install PSP 8.6. That worked fine. All pdfs were then accessible and able to open and save. Perfect.

Enfocus support then had me uninstall PSP 8.6 and reinstall PSP 10. The thought is that would clean up some installation misbehavior. Well that did not work. The problems with PSP 10 returned.

Anyone here have an idea of what I should do next?

-Steve

Steve,

I understand that you initially upgraded from version 7.x to version 10. Afterwards you de-installed and re-installed other versions on top of it.

It could be related to the Certified PDF status or the preset databases or to a specific user setting...

Did you, or were you asked at any time to, remove the PitStop Preferences from their location and re-install or launch pitstop?
Are you using a lot of customer preflight profiles, Action Lists or other presets?

What I would do is the following:
- Find the Enfocus folders in the Appdata folder of both your own user folder as the public folder in C:\Users (note: these are hidden folders)
- Move these folders on your desktop (note that you will need to make one of the folders unique so you don't overwrite the other).
- Launch Acrobat with PitStop 10
- does the issue persist?

bert

Thank you for the prompt response.
I did try moving the preference folder in Apdata as you describe. That was one of the steps the Enfocus tech instructed me to do.

However, that was not effective.
I am inclined to think the first suggestion you made regarding the proper de-install of PSP 7.x may be a factor. I probably messed that up somewhere along the line.

I appreciate your help and will start the process over again.

-Steve

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back