PDF Engine

prepressguru

Anyone using it with Printready?

So far we have stuck with the CSPI rip. Everything is working well. But PDF engine is the future. We are considering switiching on the engine but would like to know what other people have had to do to get ready?

Thanks

Re: PDF Engine

We got Printready about 6 months ago.
Since day 1, PDF Print engine is default renderer. We still have CPSI as an option.
We've had some issues where APPE wouldn't render tiff files (about 20% of the jobs) but since updating Printready with Service Pack, I have yet to see job that will not render with PDF Print engine. Other than this initial glitch, it seems rock solid and works as advertised.

I've been with Signa and Meta for several years.
Upped to the latest versions about 5 months ago with the PDF engine.
I have not looked back.
In 5 months I have had only one issue with output
and actually only "fixed" it by going to Distiller.
Everything else is export to PDF.
InDy = PDF 1.7 Quark = well ... Quark (but - export menu not print menu)

MSD

Have you seen any difference in performance from CPSI to PDF engine? We were warned it would be slower. Is there any additional settings other then choosing PDF engine in the render of the templates?

We currently preserve transparency in the qualify and prepare so this looks ready for the PDF engine.

Thanks

Edited by: prepressguru on Jul 17, 2008 11:25 AM

No question - the performance of the PDF engine
is far and above in speed and dependability.
I send PDF 1.6 or 1.7 (in theory, not supported yet)
transparency all the way.

MSD

The engine really makes Meta strain. We have an old Meta box that we need to update. If a file errors or stalls going out to plate it is because of the PDF Engine. Turn it off and we are fine. This is infrequent but it does happen.

I totally agree with the above. Been using PDF Engine now for a couple of months on brand new kit. No problems to report apart from the odd stall or fail when sending plates. Clearing the problem on Meta Shooter and resending always works for us.

Ditto!

As far as the speed difference, honestly I can't say there is any.
If there is, it would probably be in seconds, not visible at all.

It could be different with older hardware, not sure.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back