PDF mb's become larger instead of smaller?

Kees

Hi all,
I am trying to reduce the file-size of a PDF. (invoices) so it becomes easier to e-mail. I tried to save as the original file of 10 MB in acrobat reader by using cute PDF and choose 72 dpi instead of the original 600 dpi, but the result is a PDF. of 40 MB :confused:.
I normally work with Acrobat Pro and there I find it easy to reduce the file in a other manner but not all my colleagues have Pro so I'm trying to find something for them to work with.
I know that scanning the originals to PDF. with lower dpi in the first place is probably the easiest way but many people are not aware of this.
Thanks in advance for replying.
Kees

Hi Kees,

Acrobat Pro has a feature that allows you to determine what types of objects are taking up space in your PDF. Assuming you're in Acrobat Pro DC, go to Optimize PDF and then select Advanced Optimization. Then click the button on the top right of the window that says Audit space usage... This should help you understand what is consuming all the space, be it images, content streams, fonts, etc.

Regards,
Greg

Hi Greg, yes, I work with Pro but my colleagues who need a solution form this don't have Pro, only reader... So, is there an other way of reducing the file-size?
Thanks,
Kees

Try scanning them as bitmaps instead of raster images. A 1200 dpi bitmap will be a lot smaller than a 600 dpi raster image.

Hi Kees,

Acrobat Reader won't provide any of the tools necessary. Joe's comments are spot on, but if your invoices have more than just text and basic graphics, the bitmaps might not reproduce well. Kinda a stupid question, but can you set up a virtual printer on your network which will generate PDFs of the invoices directly without printing and scanning?

Greg

Hi Joe & Greg,
We will change the settings of all the printer/scanners remotely from 600 dpi to 200 dpi, this should be enough anyway since 99% of the scanning is just forms / text.
Still a lot of company's sent paper invoices by the mail instead digital so a virtual printer won't help.
Kees

Hi Joe & Greg,
We will change the settings of all the printer/scanners remotely from 600 dpi to 200 dpi, this should be enough anyway since 99% of the scanning is just forms / text.
Still a lot of company's sent paper invoices by the mail instead digital so a virtual printer won't help.
Kees

You really should try scanning them as bitmaps @ 1200 dpi since it is just text and lines. That 1200 dpi bitmap will be smaller than that 200 dpi raster image.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back