PDF Workflow Solution

ryandell

I have a need for a workflow and was just looking for some input from some people with a broader knowledge of whats out there, thats why I am here!

The Spec is as follows, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• This has only one to two users, very light inconsistent throughput
  • it would be useful to have hot folder capabilites
  • email notifications
  • PDF flight checking
  • PDF normalisation
  • Mac osx server compatable
  • it doesn't need to rip to devices
  • Just a PDF creation device
  • Low Budget (If possible!)

Many Thanks! :)

Automation and imposition solution

Automation and imposition solution

Hi Ryandell

Here is a powerful workflow, yet very economical, with hot folders and readily available:

- To automate, send email notifications, etc.: Web Flow (It is FREE!!!) www. freewebflow.com
- To do flight checking: Markzware Flightcheck (around $500.) www. markzware.com
- To automate imposition with hot folders and more: Impostrip On Demand ($990.) from Ultimate

So for around $1500. you'll have an automated workflow (some configurations required of course) and it will match your requirements.

We offer free trial versions for Impostrip On Demand.
Send me a direct email if you need more details.

Ray Duval
Ultimate Technographics
raymond @ imposition.com

Only problem with freewebflow is that the computer they show is an iMac but system requirements dictate using Windows.

For something that is Mac or Windows compatible and very flexible you should look at Enfocus FullSwitch. You might even be able to use LightSwitch depending on how you string it together. Heck, you might even be able to get away with Apple's Automator program for much of this.

Wow. I have no idea what you actually want this workflow to do from this list besides email you when it is done and run on OSX Server (which in case you were not all that familiar, might actually do several of the things you need in the new Snow Leopard Server;

Apple - Mac OS X Server Snow Leopard - What’s New

What are you trying to do ? What are you submitting and what do you want at the end - PDF in and PDF out is too general for me to suggest anything. PDF "normalization" - what does that mean to you ? (Adobe licences a Normalizer SDK to developers, but that is mostly for people submitting PostScript - you know, like a server based Distiller)

You don't mention trapping or pagination / imposition or what types of PDF modification tools you might require.

Explain a typical 'day in the life' and perhaps we can chime in with better suggestions.

Check out PDF Automation Server by Qoppa Software. We hear good feedback from prepress folks on Ubuntu and Mac.

Switch seems natural....

Switch seems natural....

I'd second Matts comment. What you want seems to be an easy thing for Enfocus Switch and some pre-flight software like Pitstop or Callas software.

I'm guessing you're doing some sort of document or e-book production and mostly looking for a traffic manager. Correct? :)

Good luck!
Michael Reiher
Dynagram

Hi All,

Firstly I would like to thank you all for your replies and input.

I am sorry I couldn't give more information michaelejahn, I have yet to consult the client properly, but pretty much what is needed is a robust PDF at the end of the process which can be sent to any print vendor as the company is basically a print management firm that will not rip to devices them self, so no need for Trapping or Impo's either.
One thing I really feel is important is a very good flattening engine that will give good secure results.

In the back of my mind I thought of enfocus, before I created this thread. I like the sound of the range of products, all I have experience with is pitstop, but if all the other products are as reliable as this then its a winner in my eyes.
s there a bundle of the switch software and pitstop?

The bespoke kind of solutions that you can build with automator or applescript are good and I have set them up in the past, but I feel a small organisation like this client will need something slightly more flexible as I cannot be around all the time to make minor tweeks or
support the solution. they need a GUI which can be adjusted with a small amount of training.

In the back of my mind I thought of enfocus, before I created this thread. I like the sound of the range of products, all I have experience with is pitstop, but if all the other products are as reliable as this then its a winner in my eyes.
s there a bundle of the switch software and pitstop?

There is a bundle for Switch and PitStop Server that is available. You'll probably want the FullSwitch/PitStop Server bundle. But if you are looking to send out flattened PDF's then you may want to evaluate callas pdfToolbox Server instead of PitStop Server. I would say to your client that they should send out PDF/X-4 files which allow for live transparency. I wouldn't necessarily say that PDF/X-1a is a bad idea but simply that PDF/X-4 is a better idea.

If you need a quote on any of this please let me know. It's a snap to setup. I probably have a ready to go workflow for you already depending on what all you want to do.

There is a bundle for Switch and PitStop Server that is available. You'll probably want the FullSwitch/PitStop Server bundle. But if you are looking to send out flattened PDF's then you may want to evaluate callas pdfToolbox Server instead of PitStop Server. I would say to your client that they should send out PDF/X-4 files which allow for live transparency. I wouldn't necessarily say that PDF/X-1a is a bad idea but simply that PDF/X-4 is a better idea.

If you need a quote on any of this please let me know. It's a snap to setup. I probably have a ready to go workflow for you already depending on what all you want to do.

I have always had a slightly different school of thought with transparency. as in if I send a pdf to somewhere for printing, I don't want anything miss interpreted especially transparencies.
I guess I could be wrong with this. I would be interested to find out if I have been coming at this from the wrong angle?

Also a price would be good to know, I am in the UK. but maybe if you could PM me this?

Many Thanks.

I talked to Matt and the best thing to do is contact Richard Crisp at Crisp Digital in the UK. He's a Switch distributor there and can help you locally. The best email is [email protected]. Also, his web site has other contact info.

Good luck!
Michael Reiher
Dynagram

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back