PDFToolbox Alternatives

Hello ,

The main alternative would be Enfocus PitStop Pro. It's a plug in for Adobe Acrobat.

Beyond that, it really depends on what features you are wanting.

Acrobat Pro has some of the Preflight, Check & Fixup features pdfToolbox offers; good to know, that under the hood it's pdfToolbox.

@bbertolani. what are you actually looking for?

In terms of profiles, checks, and fixups, the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Pro DC has most everything in pdfToolbox 9.x (less any Javascript support) since Acrobat' Preflight is in fact a major subset of pdfToolbox. Future updates will inherit features of pdfToolbox 10.x.

So either you are looking for something that is independent of Acrobat, you don't have a recent version of Acrobat, or there is some particular feature of pdfToolbox (beyond the vast majority of preflight support) that you are looking for. Which is it?

- Dov

Hello,

Is there some specific reason you're looking to replace pdfToolbox? Problems you can't get around or features you feel are missing?

If you want to be independent of Acrobat, pdfToolbox has a standalone version as well besides the Acrobat plugin.

- Michiel

For $150, Enfocus offers Connect YOU... with Pitstop built in (no Acrobat required), you can create custom drag and drop apps that can perform checks and corrections to PDFs including functions like add bleed, adjust margins, resize pages, etc... easy enough to use a CSR can use it to check incoming files for show stoppers, or a prepress person can use it for common corrections. Best deal out there in MYHO.... but of course, I'm bias... I'm the PM for Connect at Enfocus... but it is a great deal and a killer tool for designers and printers.

All the best.

Michael Reiher
Product Manager Enfocus

Hi again,

Next to the standalone version I mentioned earlier, pdfToolbox Server is actually CLI based. You can run the entire program from the command line on Windows, Mac and Linux.
You can have a look at the online manual here: http://help.callassoftware.com/m/pdftoolbox/c/192208

Edit: There happens to be a free webinar about the pdfToolbox CLI tomorrow at 4PM CEST. I would invite anyone interested to register here: https://www.fourpees.com/en/events/2018/06/secrets-from-the-support-vaults-season-2

Kind regards,

- Michiel

Last edited:
For $150, Enfocus offers Connect YOU... with Pitstop built in (no Acrobat required), you can create custom drag and drop apps that can perform checks and corrections to PDFs including functions like add bleed, adjust margins, resize pages, etc... easy enough to use a CSR can use it to check incoming files for show stoppers, or a prepress person can use it for common corrections. Best deal out there in MYHO.... but of course, I'm bias... I'm the PM for Connect at Enfocus... but it is a great deal and a killer tool for designers and printers.

All the best.

Michael Reiher
Product Manager Enfocus

Too bad each connector can't simply monitor a hot folder. Having multiple droplets is confusing . It is a good value at the price though.

Hello guys, Michiel Van den Saffele in my currently company we use pdftoolbox CLI, its fantastic! My point is low price alternative because sometimes I have side projects in others company that dont have to much money available. Anyway I will watch the webinars. Thank you.
abc I dont have to much experience with Pitstop Server but I will consider in the future projects. Thank you!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back