Perf Plates

pabney

At a previous shop we made perf plates. A regular plate with just lines where the perfs would be. After development, we would place litho perf on the plate and tape it down with clear packing tape. This was then used on a web offset press to perf a job called Advo.

Does any one know how this works in the press room. Where is the plate mounted? My current press manager would like to know how to do this, but I only know the prepress side of it.

Thanks
Paul Abney
EM Printing
Memphis, Tennessee

Basically we use the same method on our sheetfeeds. We take the sheet that we are planning on printing and layout the litho tape were it needs to be perfed on the sheet and then tqpe it into place on the sheet. Then we feed, by slowly advancing the sheet into the press, the sheet until it meets the impression cylinder. At that point we spray adhesive on the back of the sheet and again slowly advance the press until it is released from the gripper. Then we back up the cylinder so that we can tape the leading edge down and make sure that the sheet is in place. We also ad clear tape over the perf tape as necessary to hold it in place. Then we run the job. It works great. We use this method on our small Ryobis and larger presses. There might be an easier way but this works for us. Good Luck.

Hi Paul,

We used the same method that Happy described on our KORD. Just keep in mind that If you have presses with double impression cylinders you can't do it. You'd have to go with a system such as this: Perf Print Plus

Dave

Dave,
Thanks, we currently use the system you mention for one of our presses. However the customer that we are needing this for does not like the perf that this makes. (No I can not explain why, it is just that customer.) He does like the litho perf that we use on our old letter press we use for die cutting. So we are trying to find options.

Happy,
Thanks for the info. I don't know if this is how it was done at the old shop (World Color Press) or not. I seem to remember that the plates where bent just like regular plates, so that would prevent working the way you describe. However, I am old and that was 15 years ago, so I may be remembering wrong.

If any one else has other clues, thoughts, or ideas I would be very happy to hear them.

Paul

Perf Configuration

Perf Configuration

Paul,
First, do you want to do this on a web or sheetfed press. If web, with or without perf unit.
If you have a perf unit (usally consists of a blanket and plate cylinder only) you just burn the plate and mount the Litho Perf.

On the sheetfed press it's different, since you cannot run the paper between plate and blanket. If you want to use Litho Perf the options from
Happy and Dave work well.

Another option is IOC Inline Offset Cutting. IOC : Inline Offset Cutting
The perf plate (flex die) is on the blanket cylinder and perfs against
a protected impression cylinder. The perf can be made to your spex
.If your customer doesn't like the result of the PPP System, just use a
plastic protection plate and use different perfs. 6/8/12/16/30/50 tpi

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back