Perfect binding - PUR vs. Hot melt

mlarmour

Hi everyone,

We are perfect binding more and more jobs run on coated stocks. We've been doing hot melt glue, with mixed success. I'm interested to hear from others about how much better PUR is for this application. There's a lot of information out there which seems to suggest that PUR is the magic bullet for binding coated stocks. In terms of its adhesion ability to coated stocks, how much better is it really?

Thanks,

Matthew Larmour

Why don't you bind some book blanks and get a page pull test done? Quantify how much better it is. I believe it's the real deal. The bindery we use has a dedicated line just for PUR, now that's committment!
You could get a page pull test done at RIT or GATF.
John Lind
Cranberry Township, PA
724-776-4718

PUR vs Hotmelt

PUR vs Hotmelt

No contest here, PUR for coated stock wins hands down. Needs a longer set time before 3 knife trimming, as it cures slower. Standard/Horizon offers a 4 clamp binder, the BQ470 which has tanks for both EVA and PUR.

I have used both, and PUR is by far best on coated stock. It costs more and any product left in the pot can't be reheated and used like EVA can. You would first need to see if your type binder will be able to retro-fit a PUR system. Some binders allow for the systems to interchange on the same binder. Our Muller Martini did. You really need that versatility because hot melt EVA works great on uncoated, therefore you don't want the added cost of using PUR when it's not needed. But there's no doubt the integrity of the book is not compromised when using PUR. We also had success if the inside cover was flood aquas coated over the spine. We could never get EVA to stick sufficeintly to any coating on the spine.

We manufacture grades of EVA Hot Melts specially designed for Art / Gloss Paper. Please contact for Free sample.
Joshi.
+91 9849253990

No contest here, PUR for coated stock wins hands down. Needs a longer set time before 3 knife trimming, as it cures slower. Standard/Horizon offers a 4 clamp binder, the BQ470 which has tanks for both EVA and PUR.
We found a canadian company Pack-smart with a very good and affotable solution that eliminates ned for PUR. Our shophas 5 IGENs ,prior to install of packsmart plasma we struggled a lot, one year later problem does not exist.
I found a video clip on you tube, check it out:
http://youtu.be/Lvqlh4fadfg

In my area there are 3 trade binderies with late model binders who use PUR exclusively (a few jobs still spec hot melt) although they have the EVA capability also. Part of the reasoning is that the PUR, although more expensive, uses less glue than the EVA so the cost difference is a wash....and the machine requires fewer make readies. The PUR has a stronger page pull and allows a more flexible spine that helps the book lay flatter.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back