Pet Peeve

ajr

You can imagine the scene Epsons R&D Department somewhere in Japan:

Boss: Gentleman we have just finished the latest Epson 99999999 printer we have spent millions on research and development of the inks and print heads to capture true lifelike colour and will surely be a market leader.

R&D guy: What about the catch tray for these fantastic prints?

Boss: Just spend no more than $20, just a bit of material and some metal arms that dont fit properly, and make sure it falls to bits everytime you walk past it.

R&D guy: Consider it done!

Pet Peeve # 2: A couple of years ago - conversation ordering toner from our original equipment supplier (suffice it to say we no longer use any equipment from this distributor).

Me: Hello, I need to order 10 Cyan, 10 Magenta, 10 Yellow, and 10 black toner cartridges for our CPP 650.

Them: I'm sorry. According to your average monthly clicks, you have exceeded your monthly allottment.

Me: Yes, but, we're in the middle of a large run and, I'm out of toner. If I continue to run, I will "toner-starve" the printer which will trash the drums and the engine.

Them: I'm sorry, but, I can only send you toner in accordance with your average monthly usage.

Me: Ok, so, what your saying is, I must prevent my company from growing. I can not bring in any new jobs that would increase our monthly clicks over what our norm is, because, I won't be able to obtain toner to run those jobs with. Is that correct?

Them: Yes, that is correct.

Me: So, If I get a phone call today from one of my clients for an unexpected large digital run, I must turn down the job. Is that correct?

Them: Yes, according to my instructions, that is correct.

Me: Please have your tech reps here no later than tomorrow morning to de-install the printer, or, you will find it out in the parking lot.

Them: Would you like to talk to my supervisor?

Me: No, not really. I think I get the picture.

Them: Ok, it's been really nice talking with you. Thanks for calling. Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Me: CLICK!!! (hang-up)

PS, nearly impossible to figure out the instructions to set the "catch tray" up in the first place!!

You can imagine the scene Epsons R&D Department somewhere in Japan:

Boss: Gentleman we have just finished the latest Epson 99999999 printer we have spent millions on research and development of the inks and print heads to capture true lifelike colour and will surely be a market leader.

R&D guy: What about the catch tray for these fantastic prints?

Boss: Just spend no more than $20, just a bit of material and some metal arms that dont fit properly, and make sure it falls to bits everytime you walk past it.

R&D guy: Consider it done!

I think your over estimate the cost of Epson catch tray. :rolleyes: The 7900 tray is maybe 1% better than my 7600. I guess they never thought people might actually do any production on them.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back