pH - Conductivity Meter

I personally use the Myron L Ultra Meter 6p. It measures pH, Conductivity, Temperature, and is water resistant up to 3 feet. I actually bought mine off E-bay and sent it to Myron L for a full calibration to be on the safe side.

I agree the Myron meter is by far the most durable and is plenty accurate enough for pressroom use, but I suggest the DS model that only measures conductivity and thew use of 'ColorpHast' brand plastic pH strips for measuring pH outside of the lab. As long as the strips are kept dry and out of the light when not in use they are as accurate as a good meter and they never require calibration. The difference in cost between the Myron L DS meter and the Myron models that measure both pH and conductivity will buy a lot of strips.

Hanna combo instrument 98129 calibrated every 2-3 months using reference solutions. Works fine as long as the electrode is kept clean and wet. Pretty reliable and accurate, I like it.

Are you having problems maintaing conductivity on press? Is that why your looking for a meter?

What do you all use? Any recommendations?

Thanks

I've been down this journey just recently. We use Myron-L Conductivity meters which are very good.

You have to be very careful with pH though. Measuring pH in general is VERY Finicky. You need to constantly calibrate these probes, keep them wet, it's like running a science experiment.

So, I keep a Extech meter in my office which I keep calibrated and wet. Out on the presses, I leave rolls of pH paper specially designed to measure between 3.0-5.0 pH, which fits right into our fountain solution range.

I find these to be the least finicky and simplest, low maintenance option, even though I sacrifice extreme accuracy.

My personal and reliable favourites are the Myron cup 0 - 3000 uhmo, with a switchable push button for much higher conductivity readings when rarely needed. Carry some 2000 uhmo calibration standard fluid with you to ensure proper working status. Used in combination with the button and particular plate etched plate reading on the bottom, you can feel safe about proper reporting of conductivity values throughout the years. Uses a simple 9 volt battery, which you should change at least yearly, no matter how much you are using the device.

For pH I find a simple hand held meter from Fisher Scientific or Grainger works very well. Only costs about $40. and uses a trio of watch type batteries. Always keep the bulb wet with deionized water between uses. Do not let it dry out! A Cotton ball or cut absorptive sponge in the bottom seal cap works well to keep it wet between uses. Also recommend you carry a small bottle each of ph 4.01 and ph 7.00 buffer solutions. A 2 oz. plastic bottle is easily toted for service work.

Using a cut bottom plastic coke bottle is excellent for collecting fountain solution from the reservoir tanks and also serves well as a vessel to hold the solution for measurement taking.

Been to some shops where the solution was so scummy and dirty, I was reluctant to dip my precious tools in the solution. The coke bottom bottle helps separate the slime to the sides to minimize the contamination on the tools. If the bottle gets too dirty just toss it and cut another.

Never use a combination ph and conductivity meter. You are only harboring problems as they tend to go out of calibration easily and frequently. The 2 step method is by far the best route to go.
Hope these suggestions help. D

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back