Photoshop 16-Bit Mode in 10-Bit Display. How does it work ?

manishbjain

What is the point of working in Photoshop 16-Bit Mode when even the best professional displays like Eizo and Benq can display only 10 or 12 Bit Depth at max ? Am I missing something ?

What is the point of working in Photoshop 16-Bit Mode when even the best professional displays like Eizo and Benq can display only 10 or 12 Bit Depth at max ? Am I missing something ?
It's to avoid banding/shadestepping when extreme tonal/curve adjustments are being made.

In my experience, professional photographers prefer 16 bit but a conventional offset press can only utilize 8 bit-anything more is overkill, creating bloated files that are a pain to push around and manage. Not that the difference is indiscernible but to the average viewer it is not worth it IMO. As for shadestepping and banding-we've mitigated those issues for decades without using 16 bit images.

FYI The Xerox Versant family of printers, print with a true 10 bit rip. If this matters to this conversation.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back