Photoshop CS6 painfully slow

Gregg

Just upgraded. Anyone else finding PS CS6 to be really slow/sluggish? Saves, and toggling layers On/Off takes noticeably longer than in previous versions.

Running iMac 2.66ghz, 4gb RAM, Snow Leopard.

I've been running CS6 since day one and it's faster on my computer, whatever they did makes everything render faster, open faster etc.

Running Power Mac 3.33Ghz 6-core, 6gb Ram, OS 10.6.8

I'm on a MacPro 2 x 2.266GHz (DualCore Xeon) with 4GB 667mhz DDR2 RAM and ALL of the CS6 apps run at least 2x as fast as CS5 for me. I can't make the switch to it yet as most of my plugins aren't CS6 friendly yet. Perhaps your workstation is underpowered or your hard-drive is in bad shape or severely fragmented? What is your drive utilization/capacity?

Photoshop CS6 painfully slow

Just upgraded. Anyone else finding PS CS6 to be really slow/sluggish? Saves, and toggling layers On/Off takes noticeably longer than in previous versions.

Running iMac 2.66ghz, 4gb RAM, Snow Leopard.

Its your iMac. I just got a new Mini2011 with the dual 2.7GHz i7chip, 256 SSD + the 750 GB HD, loaded up with 16GB RAM from Crucial. Photoshop CS6 is fast and furious. 4GB RAM is too little and you probably don't have very many cores. the Mini has 8. you might think about a new computer but if that is out of the question at least buy more RAM. 4GB is minuscule and barely enough to run the OS. Also make sure that your scratch disk for Photoshop is not on the system disk but on a separate hard drive. the first partition on a separate 7200rpm drive, 100GB minimum will help too.

Buko

Last edited:
from another friend;

Hi Michael,

I'm using the same machine as your buddy Gregg and had a similar problem. It became so bad that I contacted Apple, thinking my HDD might be failing.

They suggested resetting the PRAM and NVRAM, which certainly helped. I think the minimal 4GB RAM also contributes to the problem and I will be adding more to mine shortly, in the hope of gaining extra improvement.

Instructions for resetting the PRAM and NVRAM at:
Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)
and
About NVRAM and PRAM

Hope this helps.

Best wishes

Russ Brown

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back