Picture framing

shainw6

We have had a picture framing problem on our Komori LS640 for a couple of months now. Major ink build up just outside paper area on the impression cylinder, blanket and plate. Kelstar has sent us many different fountain solutions to try. One steps Two steps. We are back to our original one step @ 5.5ounces per gal. and a alcohol sub @1.5 ounces per gallon.This solution works best. Its still picture framing though. We have also changed ink within the past couple of years. We went from Toyo to Universal we didnt have this problem with Toyo and at first we didnt have a problem with Universal. This problem is making a mess of this press and causing printability issues. I have been printing for 15 years and i'm seeing major inconsistancies with ink ,paper, fountain solutions unlike ever befor. Could these inconsistantcies be part of th problem? Can anyone give me any suggestions about this picture framing issue it would be appreciated.

Last edited:
The problem you are experiencing is due to calcium build up. I have attached a zip file that contains several white papers regarding the subject and how to eliminate the problem. Best of luck!

Attachments

• Fighting the Battles Against Calcium.zip
    183.6 KB · Views: 189
Picture Framing

Picture Framing

Picture framing is caused by the break down of ink and Calcium from paper into tiny microscopic particles. Either the ink is too soft or the fountain solution is too aggressive. From my experience a one step fountain solution that gives a pH of 5.0 and about 1500-1700 MMHOS conductivity over water with a Calcium blocker in it will be the best. Are you using tap water or RO water? RO water is very aggressive by itself, and adding a controlled amount of Calcium and Magnesium back in the water (you can add 10-20% of tap water back to your RO water) is helping many printers. I think your pH is very low right now, is it 4.2-4.5? More acidic the fount is, the more it leaches Calcium out of paper. One unit (lower) of pH is 10 times more acidic. Do you have a calibrated pH/conductivity meter in your press room? BTW, who is Universal Ink? Is it a dealer or an ink manufacturer? If you have more questions, please reply.
George John

Picture Framing

Picture Framing

Some industry veterans are scratching thier heads after reading my recommendation to keep the pH of fountain solution around 5.0 to alleviate calcium leech out. Because traditionally printers were told to keep pH low (4.0-4.5) to keep the plate clean This theory was tested in a pressroom. There were many fountain solution sales and technical people walking around holding pH meters and conducivity meters telling pressmen that this will not work. One saw the pH at 5.0 and calibarated his pH meter again and agian. But this pressroom proved that they alleviated all picture framing issue with this one step, fountain solution. They bought drums after drums of it. And many printers are using it successfully now. I do not work for any fountain solution company and this is no advertisement for any company. I am trying to pass on my knowledge and experience to the Graphic Arts Indusrty. Your comments are welcome.
George John.
269-216-8088

Our new Komori LS has a different dampening system to our 102, we have no issues on the 102 but all kinds on the LS, running UV which does'nt help. Thanks

I think you hit the nail on the head there Reyes with the Delta Damp, Komori told us the issues were with plates, we tried others didnt make any difference, we switched to Prisco 3451U with Alkaless 6000 sub made some good improvements but we still have not matched the 'set it and forget it' of the 102.

Without naming any particular plate we had this problem when we changed from baked plates to non baked plates . After testing Prisco, Allied, and alcohol subs, we switched plates and found that it made a vast improvement not only with framing but backtrap mottle. This was on both Uv and conventional
presses both German and Japanese

Fountain Solution Efficiency

Fountain Solution Efficiency

Hello fellow Lithographers,

I agree with George John, regarding pH - while pH is important, Fountain Solution Efficiency attributes include - (1) Low Surface Tension (2) High Viscosity which are of higher importance.

Regards, Alois

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back