plate cylinder drifting forward on it's own?

By coincidence, I just had a knowledgeable independent service man in to work on an unrelated problem, and showed him this thread. He tells me that this is an old, old issue even with the 2 color machines going back to before that position adjustment was even motorized!

So this really puts Heidelberg Service management in an even worse light in their response to the problem on Bill's press.

Al

On further discussion with the service man, I learned that this lubrication provision was actually left out in some models. The 4 color SM74 at the shop I work is a case in point, and as it turns out, the pressman tells me that the first unit on our machine is slow to respond to this adjustment compared to the other three.

Are there other shops experiencing such sluggishness in any of their units?

Al

Al, Do you mean that when the pressman tries to make a register move at the console the unit (circumference or lateral) moves very slowly? If so, I have found that many times it is from oil that has penetrated into the motor housing. The blue cap comes loose and the oil seeps in. What I have done in this case is remove the motor from the yolk and remove the blue cap and clean out the motor with alcohol, making sure it is completely dry in side and the reinstall the motor. This usually works. Hope that this helps, Bill

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back