Please help! Wide format printer advise needed.

We are looking to buy a wide format printer and enter the market. Currently litho operation only and think it is best to enter the market now
We have never owned one before and need your advise.
We are confused firstly with dye, pigment ink and so on and so on. What does that mean?
We want a printer that can print onto outdoor stuff i.e. vinyl sheet paper, canvas etc. Banner material would be a bonus but not a priority. Also to print indoor posters etc..
We have a low budget of £2000.
Can you please answer our questions and suggest some printers.

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks

We have done, but no help there. We use Rosefox over in Preston (UK)
The other thing is we are not looking to buy new - they will suggest modern new machines.
We are after a decent used machine.

Awaiting your advice

First, if you do not know the difference between dye and pigment, you should probably not get into the WF business...;-)

Second, establish a relationship with a "service bureau" or sign shop that has "to the trade" pricing and send out your work until you can justify your own kit.

Third, your (small) budget covers only the printer. You will also need:

1. RIP
2. Finishing, mounting, cutting
3. Laminating
4. Grommets, etc.

If all of ths sounds like too much for you, then go back to the second suggestion. Send your work out, make 25% GP on jobs with no capital outlay and build your business.

If you want durable outdoor signage your budget is not near big enough.

There are basically two types of wide format machines.
1. Aqueous based inkjets printers
2. Solvent based printers

Aqueous printers use a water based ink that needs a special coating on the paper to bond correctly. You can also print on a basic uncoated sheet of bond paper but coated papers designed for inkjet work the best. These type of printers are often used for temporary posters, indoor banners, proofing devices, and larger photo prints. We currently use a Canon iPF8000 that generates fantastic quality prints...color is almost always dead on too. There are a number of other brands as well that work great, Epson being a good one as well. Keep in mind that while these are not necessarily designed to produce outdoor signage we have been successful using scrim banner material designed for aqueous inks (tyvek works well too) and for outdoor posters that we always laminate. There are a large number of media options, many of which claim to be "water-resistant" which is true but these will generally only look good for a several months outdoors. Since they use specially coated papers to obtain the best results the media is much more expensive than that used for Solvent printers and is easy to scuff requiring either hot film laminate or liquid laminate such as "clearshield". They are also much less expensive than Solvent printers and you might be able to get something very nice if you compromise on the width of the printer. Depending on media type these will be virtually dry coming off the printer and can be finished almost immediately. Based on your budget this is probably the type of machine to get. You will be limited to what you can produce that will be able to go outdoors for any length of time.

The solvent printers produce very durable scratch resistant signage that typically used for outdoor applications such as banners, vehicle graphics etc. They print on uncoated (don't have a special coating for the ink to adhere to) materials and essentially "etch" the surface of the material to bond securely to the substrate. For a decent size machine (54" width) you are in the neighborhood of $20000 (USD) for an entry level machine (look for brands such as Mimaki, Mutoh, Epson (GS6000 only), Roland). For the best durability outdoors you will also need a cold laminator to apply laminate to the prints ($10,000) Seal, GBC, Royal Sovereign make machines that work well for this type of market. If you want to get in the vehicle graphics market you will also need a "plotter" which cuts vinyl and other substrates in custom patterns (such as cutting out some text). The media for this type of printer is generally less expensive. True solvent printers will also need to be ventilated since they out-gas harmful VOCs. There are a number of newer "Eco-Solvent" printers out now that release less harmful VOCs and work nearly as well as the Solvent inks. Prints off the printer will be slightly tacky to the touch but will feel dry after an hour...
we usually wait 5-6 hrs for them to out-gas before finishing and the manufacturer recommends a full 24 hours before laminating. Print quality is not nearly as good as prints on an aqueous printer. Our aqueous printer at 600 dpi print resolution produces photographic quality work that our customers cannot distinguish from a silver halide print. Even printing at 1440 dpi on our solvent printer produces prints that are good, great for outdoor and signage you will look at from more than a foot away but not near as nice.

As noted previously any printer you decide on needs to be paired with a RIP (either software or hardware) to get the best prints from the machine you choose. This allows you to use the correct profiles for the different media types you plan on printing. Without the right profile your print will look like crap as the printer will lay down too much or too little ink for the substrate.

If you want durable outdoor signage your budget is not near big enough.

There are basically two types of wide format machines.
1. Aqueous based inkjets printers
2. Solvent based printers

The solvent printer market in North America is drying up.
The third segment of this market is UV printers - both flatbed and roll to roll.

This is one of the fastest growing segments of the market.

I have an idea for you......

I have an idea for you......

I have a contact who could let you have a printer for free and all you need to do is buy media, ink and a service plan from him.

Please contact me at [email protected] for further information.

Kind regards

Mat Thompson
Sales & Marketing Director
Graphic Display World

We are currently in the same situation. Looking at 2 different inks. Either UV or Solvent. What are the pros and cons of each? We will mainly be using this machine to produce outside signs, vinyl labels, etc., as we already have a Canon 6400 Prograf and and Epson 7900 for indoor use.

Look up American Reprographics Company or e-arc.com. They have an office in London (300 offices in the USA) and perhaps can put a machine for you and help you grow your business.
If you need further help please email me.
[email protected]

We are in the same boat. Looking to get into wide format. We have an order for 300 A2! so I am hoping to bring these in house and pay some of a second hand machine off in the process. Can someone tell me the aproximate true cost of printing a poster, say an A2.

Hi, we have nice Epson Stylus Pro 9880 with Roll to Roll option for $2200 but we're in NY USA so shipping will add up some. Let me know if you are interested.
Also we have a Epson 11880 with Roll to Roll that is being delivered and will be available soon.
Both printers use UltraChrome K3 inks. 9880 is 44 inch wide and 11880 is 64 I think,
You may write me to [email protected]
Roman.

We are an offset and digital printing shop that decided to get into large format printing late last year. We purchased an HP L25500 latex printer. This machine is well suited for a variety of indoor and outdoor uses.

The one thing I learned is that sheet-fed printing and wide format are two entirely different processes. If I hadn't had someone on staff who ran the large format department at a local FedEx Office (Kinkos,) we would have been totally lost and clueless for an extended period of time while we learned to use the equipment and explain options to clients.

By the way, we have a Seal 62 Base laminator (new in the box) for sale if anyone has a need.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back