Looking for recommendations on Large Format printer

Hello! We've recently run into some seemingly unsolvable problems with our wide format Mimaki printer at our shop. Because of that, we're looking into the possibility of buying a new printer altogether. We are open to most brands as long as it's a 54" machine, preferably Eco Solvent/Latex. I've gathered information on a few machines, including Roland, HP, Epson, and Canon. We print banners, posters, and recently, lots of floor and wall graphics. A lot of the work we print will have outdoor application (floor graphics, A Frame signs, etc.) with or without lamination. Lots of mounting to coroplast or foam core as well.

If anyone has any recommendations for a good, reliable, easy to maintain and operate printer, please let know.

Thank you,
D

SoggyWinter

Epson S40600 here. Really disappointed in Epson, but the machine has been reliable and the color gamut and vibrancy are excellent. A downside is that the inks scratch very easily on most substrates without lamination. Another downside is that the printer advances 12-18" of media before starting to print. You're probably aware of it, but Sign101.com is a good source of wide format printer info.

Epson S40600 here. Really disappointed in Epson, but the machine has been reliable and the color gamut and vibrancy are excellent. A downside is that the inks scratch very easily on most substrates without lamination. Another downside is that the printer advances 12-18" of media before starting to print. You're probably aware of it, but Sign101.com is a good source of wide format printer info.
Thanks for your input. I have a couple of Epsons on my list but I think I'm leaning towards HP Latex printers at this point.

Well, with HP latex you must bear in mind that you need to purchase many heads, since it will request them every 2 or 3 ink cartridges you change (6 colors)
You should also know that the electrical consumption is 32 amps to cure the latex ink after printing ...
Another important issue is that it takes between 8 to 10 minutes to start up and the same delay times when turning off the equipment. Which leaves you a liability for damages when there are sudden power outages ...

Last edited:
Well, with HP latex you must bear in mind that you need to purchase many heads, since it will request them every 2 or 3 ink cartridges you change (6 colors)
You should also know that the electrical consumption is 32 amps to cure the latex ink after printing ...
Another important issue is that it takes between 8 to 10 minutes to start up and the same delay times when turning off the equipment. Which leaves you a liability for damages when there are sudden power outages ...
You're right about the start up and shut down time...at least in my experience with an HP Latex R2000, that's definitely the case.

De-Inking

Avanti
Sustainable Printing Goes Far Beyond Using FSC Certified or Recycled Paper
This informative paper on deinking: demand, principles, problems and solutions also explains why printing technologies are not all equally compatible with paper recycling systems; and why just a small fraction of printed material in the paper can cause difficulties.
Link To White Paper