Plockmatic 35 inline

gregbatch

We were looking at adding a Plockmatic 35 to our new D136, but the quote came back at double the price. That makes the PM35 the same price as the D136 itself. Are they really that expensive ($52k)?

What options do you have on the Plockmatic? I don't really know prices but I hear they are expensive. If you have the rotate cease trim part I hear that is especially expensive. They are really nice booklet makers though.

Plockmatic list prices:
Base Unit, Model 35 - $21,500
Trim Module - 13,600
Book Fold Module - 13,000 (I think this is the square fold part as the basic fold is in the base unit)
Cover Feed Module - 5,500
Rail (required) - 500
TOTAL - 54,100

Add the Rotate Crease Trim Module - $44,500

So unless I was running bleed trim books all day long, there is not likely a good ROI.

My father was a contract administrator for the government. While most people relate government contracts to $500 hammers, the truth is they get very good pricing on many things, like copiers, etc. While we can never expect to get state or federal pricing on our equipment, but we can use these contracts to see how much room copier companies really have in their price. This gives us some knowledge to push our negotiations to the limit.

Example: A Ricoh Pro 8120 lists at 66,488. The price to state government - 25,065.
A Pro C7110SX - List 135,000. State contract - 52,000.

Yes, they make up for some of it in software and clicks, but it's obvious there is plenty of room for negotiation for us too.

Don't have anything to add about the plockmatic but wow, $52K for a 7110, that is a screaming deal.

Indeed it is. That's an SX. A base 7110 is 39K. Just as we practice targeted pricing, these manufacturers do as well. Do you really think it costs that much more to build a 120 cpm machine than a 90 cpm? Do you really think it costs that much more to create an i7 CPU over an i3? No. Marginal. But we pay a premium for speed.

I failed to mention that the Plockmatics get about a 40% discount on state & federal contracts.

Our config did not include the RCT. Still over $50K.

Wow I can see why there aren't a lot of those RCT units out there. There are quite a few Plockmatic's with the face trim and book fold.

Yes the book fold unit is the part that squares it off very nice for thick books.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back