Plotting 3D Pantone Colours against an ICC profile

Stephen Marsh

I have seen some of you post 3D renders, comparing say the Pantone library against a particular ICC profile.

I was wondering what software you use to do this, and - if you could perhaps do me a favour and produce a plot or report of what is possible if you are provided with an ICC profile?

Stephen Marsh

I have seen some of you post 3D renders, comparing say the Pantone library against a particular ICC profile.

I was wondering what software you use to do this, and - if you could perhaps do me a favour and produce a plot or report of what is possible if you are provided with an ICC profile?

Stephen Marsh

Do you mean like the video here: http://the-print-guide.blogspot.ca/2...myk-gamut.html ?

In this case I took the library that Pantone provides licensed vendor that includes the CIE Lab values, converted it into the text file format that Chromix ColorThink and brought it into the app. ColorThink then plotted a standard GRACoL ICC profile as a volume and the Pantone spot color Lab values as points. I then incrementally manually rotated the plot and took screen captures at each increment. Those were then assembled into a movie using Time Lapse Assembler (if I remember correctly) on my MAC.

Last edited:
Thanks Gordo, is that the only option? It does not have to be a 3D plot, it could be a numerical report listing N% of colours are in/out of gamut etc.

Stephen Marsh

Thanks Gordo, is that the only option? It does not have to be a 3D plot, it could be a numerical report listing N% of colours are in/out of gamut etc.

Stephen Marsh

If you have a contact at Kodak, their Spotless solution can do that.

Thanks Gordo, I can do similar with our ORIS Color Tuner RIP, however I just have an inkjet profile created from a different proofing RIP. The Kodak Spotless method could be an alternative, just not as accessible.

There must be other software out there, it is probably going to be a case of thinking outside the box or perhaps performing random samples of a handful of spot colours and comparing them one by one in other less capable software.

Stephen Marsh

I have kicked things around a little more in CGS ORIS Color Tuner, although it does not have a “report” as such, the spot colour table does highlight colours that are way out of gamut and does show dEAB/2000 values. I am a little hesitant to trust this 100% because I am using an ICC profile measured from a proof from a different proofing RIP and I have not setup things “correctly” as I would for proofing in an ORIS workflow – however this does provide ballpark results.

There is also a 3D gamut plot.

I was also informed by PM of Esko Color Engine Pilot which also offers a numerical report. Again, I am happy to provide an ICC profile if somebody would like to generate such a report for me, at least I can then compare and have a second opinion. :]

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
It's a pity that Kodak (the product managers/marketing people) does not appear to be involved with either PrintPlanet or in promoting their solutions for this industry. The Spotless system which I was involved in the development of, could not only tell you what colors were in gamut for any given custom color library (Pantone or proprietary brand color) but it could tell you how far out individual colors were in terms of deltaE from the target color.
It provided a list report of all the target colors as well as a three level indication of closeness to match depending on the user's criteria for "match" tolerance.

Sad.

Last edited:
No Title

Stephen,

Onyx has a numerical report. I'm pretty certain there's no way to export it, but if you want to send me the profile in question, I could run the report and screen capture overall numbers.

Attached is a screencap.

Mike

Attachments

• photo4751.jpg
    photo4751.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 212
We used Star Proof for simulating Pantone spot colors - not inexpensive, a bit tricky to set up ( but as Gordo will say *if JAHN can do it, how hard could it possibly BE* - anyway - it was solid reliable method and simple to use workflow ( you just needed to print all the plates as separations ) - then, the 1 bit tiff files were then "processed" in the Star Proof workflow

Old blog post ( from when I sold it when I worked for Compose Systems in Sacramento, CA )

http://composesblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/star-proof-pantone-matching-is-breeze.html

Product site:

http://www.isigs.com/StarProof_1.html

Hope that helps !

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back