Plugged drill bit

Stickman42

Running a Challenge MS5 drill press. Drilling perfect bound books, 40/50# uncoated offset with 10 pt. C1S covers. Drilling format calls for 5 holes: four of them with a 5/16" hole, and a 9/16" hole in the center of the row of holes. The 9/16" drill bit is getting plugged almost immediately. Have sharpened the bit and replaced with a new one. Same result. Using a wax pencil on the outside of the bit as well. The bit is "standard", not one with nubs inside that supposedly keep the bit from plugging (CHT type maybe, have tried this also). Any suggestions?

Thanks for the tip about waxing the inside @jwheeler. It did help things out immensely. I've got to brush up on best practices now. I read that all chads should be cleaned out of the drills at the end of the job/day because as they cool they will expand and increase the possibility of plugging?

I read that all chads should be cleaned out of the drills at the end of the job/day because as they cool they will expand and increase the possibility of plugging?
Glad it helped! We never clear the chads out the drill bits, and never did at other shops I've worked at either. It sounds like a good idea though, especially for that 9/16" bit that you're struggling with.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back