pMS 304 versus pMS 305 Question

D Ink Man

Both coated and uncoated guide. > Please offer commentary on your observations of these 2 colors in reference to shade/ hue. Thank you.

D Ink Man

They're a similar hue (304 is slightly yellower), 304 is a lighter tint than 305.

Why the question?

Slightly yellower? It is MUCH yellower and it is not due to the difference alone in the percentage of process blue. It is wrong.

D Ink Man

I think you're right, depending on the edition and printing. I was looking at my brand new 2nd Edition 3rd Printing and latest bridge they look fine, but in earlier editions (1st 1st printing and 2nd 2nd printing, and really old solid uncoated from 2004) they are much yellower. Maybe someone noticed a mistake, and used the incorrect 304 as one of the 112 new colors ;)

Slightly yellower? It is MUCH yellower and it is not due to the difference alone in the percentage of process blue. It is wrong.

D Ink Man

I think the difference in color is basically due to the very different OBA content of the Gloss vs Matte paper used. The difference in color will shift according to the UV content of the lighting source they're compared under which is why some folks here see a big difference while others don't..

Here's what they look like under UV light:

OBAs_zpsrgb6os1q.jpg

The gloss sheet glows under UV light while the uncoated doesn't. The lack of OBAs in the uncoated shifts the PMS towards a yellowish cast while the OBAs in the gloss shifts the PMS towards a blue cast.

Last edited:
No Title

Here is the Coated, Uncoated and Bridge 2nd Edition 2nd Printing (Left) and @nd Edition 3rd Printing (Right) it really looks like they changed the ink. Newer 304 is much less yellow. All other colors look fairly unchanged. The older books have lived in a drawer for a little over a year and the new ones are fresh out of the box a week ago.

Also OBA Content looks relatively unchanged in the different printings.

Attachments

• photo5506.JPG
    photo5506.JPG
    980.1 KB · Views: 1,044
  • photo5507.JPG
    photo5507.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 258
As far as OBA's go, the substrate choices pAntone has made for both the coated and especially the uncoated are chock way too full of them.

It makes it very difficult for most of the users of the book to be a practical tool. However, designer guys have no problems with that lushly washed canvas.

Why?
Because over 90% of the paper stocks used in commercial printing have considerably less OBA's in content making for a dirty runaway for the inks scheduled arrival. Ponder that our planet members. Thanks!

D

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back