Postcard company wanting super rich black?

I'm concerned that the video does not describe why or when a rich black is warranted/needed (at least when applied to offset work). For example what is the minimum size of the area of black being printed, or the minimum type size size, where 100% black needs to be specified as a rich black.

gordon p

I'm concerned that the video does not describe why or when a rich black is warranted/needed (at least when applied to offset work). For example what is the minimum size of the area of black being printed, or the minimum type size size, where 100% black needs to be specified as a rich black.

gordon p

Gordon, You are absolutely right. Most of the time, rich black values are applied to a heavy coverage area.

You would also consider what the client is trying to achieve. I had times when I would suggest my clients the rich black values but there intention were not to achieve a rich black output.

As far as type goes. since type can range from 7pt to 12pt on MOST print projects, You wouldn't have to input a rich black values. A( K: 100% ) should be fine.

To summarize, there really isn't a standard minimum or maximum for rich black. Mainly depends on intention and for overhead issues.

For example: There is no point in creating a rich black in a 1-color business card order.

You would be wasting a Cyan, Magenta & Yellow press plate (DTP)

I hope this help and thanks for your feedback Gordon

Rick Ramirez
fuzedot.com

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back