Postnet codes

jinthebay

Hey Folks,

Just asked by the owner to look into creating variable data with postnet codes included. Using "Yours Truly" (Smartstream) plugin with Indesign 3 on an Indigo 3500.

Can someone educate me as to how this is done? Is it included in the .xml file somehow? As a placed image? Or, is there another program that creates the codes and then included as say, an .eps (The old Bar code Pro way)?

Any insight into this is appreciated!

The PostNet barcode is actually a font, but to get the correct numbers in the PostNet Barcode. You will want to use Mailing software so you get the ZIP+4, Delivery Point, Check Digit, and possibly the framing bars.

Are you currently doing mailings? If so, how do you produce them?

Postnet codes

Thanks PCModem for the response.

No, we have yet to do much in the way of variable data work on our Indigo 3500. But this is our first step towards that type of work.

So, what you're saying is, in addition to using Smartstream (YTD) with say, an InDesign document, we would need to purchase an additional, standalone piece of software? Or, is it just a matter of having the correct type of barcode font, and using it in the xl document?

Also, is there a way to verify that the barcodes are correct? Would this require purchasing some type of scanner for verification? We would hate to print 5000 mailing pieces and have it get bounced by the Post Office!

Any help or advice, again, is most appreciated.

Before I answer your questions, I need to know one thing.

Do you currently prepare mailings for the Post Office with an Inkjet or other similar device?

Postnet Codes

Postnet Codes

No,

We've been using a mailing house. This is something that we want to take on ourselves at sometime in the future though.

In order to get any discounts at the Post Office, you will need to get software which allows you to CASS/DPV, NCOA, and Presort your mailing lists.

It doesn't matter if you are doing variable data or Inkjetting the addressing on the piece. The software is the same.

You could have your mailing house do the presort, give you a presorted file with the Postnet barcode characters in it. Then all you would need is the Postnet font. NOTE: You will want to make sure the barcode is the correct size, or it will be rejected by the USPS.

If you are looking for software to do presort mailings, there are several available. We use Mail Manager from BCC Software. Pitney Bowes has several, Satori Bulk Mailer, and several others. If you do decide on getting Presorting Mailing Software. You want to make sure they are USPS Gold Pave Certified as this will help eliminate problems when dealing with the Post Office.

Postnet Codes

Postnet Codes

In order to get any discounts at the Post Office, you will need to get software which allows you to CASS/DPV, NCOA, and Presort your mailing lists.

It doesn't matter if you are doing variable data or Inkjetting the addressing on the piece. The software is the same.

You could have your mailing house do the presort, give you a presorted file with the Postnet barcode characters in it. Then all you would need is the Postnet font. NOTE: You will want to make sure the barcode is the correct size, or it will be rejected by the USPS.

If you are looking for software to do presort mailings, there are several available. We use Mail Manager from BCC Software. Pitney Bowes has several, Satori Bulk Mailer, and several others. If you do decide on getting Presorting Mailing Software. You want to make sure they are USPS Gold Pave Certified as this will help eliminate problems when dealing with the Post Office.

Thanks again PC,
We are getting the mailing house to give us the presorted file with all of the barcode characters keystroked by them. But, again I see your note regarding barcode size and the holdup on this job right now is just that. We have the barcode font assigned at 15pt and the personnel at the mailing house is saying that it's too large. They want us to bring the point size down to 11pt. We warned them!
Hope this doesn't come back to bite us!

Thanks again for all the insight. I'll post again and let you know how this goes.

Not all Postnet fonts will print at the same point size to have the barcode print correctly. With the Postnet font we have, we use 17.5pt.

I would print out a sample and take it to your Mail Piece Design Analyst (MDA) at the Post Office and have them verify you have the correct size for your barcode. There is an Optical Comparator you can get which has all of the specs for a Postnet barcode. Looking at mine, the Tall bar needs to be between .115 inches and .135 inches high. The short bar needs to be between .040 inches and .060 inches high.

In May of 2011 the Post Office will no longer accept the PostNet barcode for discounted mailings. You will have to use the new Intelligent Mail Barcode or IMB for short.

Postnet Codes

Postnet Codes

Not all Postnet fonts will print at the same point size to have the barcode print correctly. With the Postnet font we have, we use 17.5pt.

I would print out a sample and take it to your Mail Piece Design Analyst (MDA) at the Post Office and have them verify you have the correct size for your barcode. There is an Optical Comparator you can get which has all of the specs for a Postnet barcode. Looking at mine, the Tall bar needs to be between .115 inches and .135 inches high. The short bar needs to be between .040 inches and .060 inches high.

In May of 2011 the Post Office will no longer accept the PostNet barcode for discounted mailings. You will have to use the new Intelligent Mail Barcode or IMB for short.

So what you're saying is, that there is "some" margin for error? I recommended just what you've suggested and I was told there was no time to have the barcode scanned at the Post Office. My feeling is and always has been that better to spend the extra time and get it right than to play the blame game later. But what do I know. I'm just the stupid prepress/digital press operator.

If you don't have the time to get your first mailing job correct, you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

The time it takes to have someone at the Post Office scan a piece is not very long. In fact, the amount of time you have been on the forum this morning is longer than it would take at the Post Office.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back