postscript only for Igen 3?

ChrisL

Hello everyone,

I've been in prepress for years for offset printing, but recently got a job as the only prepress technician at a company that does variable printing on an Igen3. They have always printed postscript out if InDesign and then used distiller to create a PDF. I think they did this to flatten the transparency. My question is does the Igen have a problem with files that are not flattened? Could I just export a PDF x1a that flattens the file?
It seems like twice the work to print postscript and distill. Any opinions on this?

PDFs straight from InDesign should be fine. Although, like any rip, you can have some issues with flattening depending on which front end you're using. So be sure to double check your output.

If you're doing bigger VDP runs, look into FusionPro Desktop or XMPie for creating your variable documents so you can output them as PPML. It will rip MUCH faster than pdf. Basically, it allows the rip to process the static content once for all pages rather than over and over again as it has to do with pdf. Depending on the job, it can be literally thousands of times faster to process.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back