PPM4.0 and cockpit

rbailleu

I think we are going to start using ppm4 and cockpit. any major issues we should watchout for.

Make sure whoever installs it to explain UI difference to operators. Watch for a week or two of confusion on operator's faces, and many questions.
There will even be comments, oh, we lost that functionality when in reality it is there just hidden or has to be enabled, etc...

But don't be too alarmed, upgrade is mostly smooth and once they get used to new look and find all features, it will be smooth sailing. Performance is better for sure, known bugs have been fixed and for example archiving/exporting on Mac now works ok.
It is welcome upgrade for sure, despite minor issue we've had with new APPE 1.1 that took me a while to convince them, that it has nothing to do with our settings, so the issue has been escalated to Germany. We'll see what comes out of it.

what whats not working for you that got escalated to germany. I have heard in other threads that there are bugs that have not been fixed for a couple months now.

are you happy with appe otherwise?

There was only one instance, or one particular case where rendering had some artifacts. It had happened on four pages out of 36 page brochure and we couldn't figure it out. No rime and reason since mostly the same graphics were used throughout the brochure.

Heidelberg told us specific setting in Indesign that reduced these artifacts, but they were still happening so they escalated it.

It had something to do with very specific, complex way piece was designed in Indesign.
Image was placed in box, than another box was created on top of that with gradients that were overlapping each other.

When previewing PDF, it looked ok, when render one side would have artifacts, like a very thick trap or overprint, which was not there.
When you render with CPSI, it rendered correctly, just like PDF preview, which was our workaround to get the job out.

They are looking into it.

Yes, we are happy with APPE otherwise, this was the only instance in many jobs.
I think we got little bit spoiled, since when we had Brisque, we were running on a daily basis into unexplainable things that Creo.Scitex/Kodak could never give us proper answer and we just continued using it and writing it off.
In this economy where every dollar count, that wouldn't fly anymore.

Last edited:
In this economy where every dollar count, that wouldn't fly anymore.

I completely agree.

we had a rgb graphic get through the system once. everything looked fine until we got it on press. but there was a couple arcing shadows/darkened areas running through a photo. the arc matched some other elements on the page, but should not have affected the photos. funning thing simply converting to cmyk and reimaging fixed the arcs. this was heidelberg meta and cpsi.

PPM 4.5 is already being deployed to some as an early installation here in Germany.
I will try to get my hands onto it this week; PPM 4.5 should fix a lot of minor bugs and annoyances we had in the past (reproducable crashes of Cockpit when doing certain things are fixed in 4.5, a lot of problems concerning previews, etc.).
Maybe you can get Heidelberg to install 4.5 instead of 4.0 if you feel "lucky" enough to install a software-version that is not widespread installed yet ;)

I heard they were skipping a rollout of the media kit for 4.0 and going to a 4.5 roll out july.
definitely maybe

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back