Preps 5.3

indy jones

We have Preps 5.3 running on Mac Pro OS 10.5.8. We want to get a new Mac computer on Preps 5.3 will it run 10.7 or 10.8 Mac OS? We called Kodak and they are saying only up to 10.6.

They are correct.
5.3 will only run on 10.6 Snow Leopard.
This is because this version of Preps was written for the PowerPC chips, not the Intel. So Preps needs Rosetta to run.
Apple discontinued Rosetta in 10.7 and later.

Thanks for your reply guys. We are currently using Nexus 8.6 r3. We send a pdf to Nexus and trap the the job using Artpro then save out a postscript. We send the postscript again through Nexus to create links, hires and oppo files. In Preps 5.3 we import the links files to Impose. Does Preps 6 or 7 still use link file to impose? We are thinking of imposing pdf to pdf workflow instead. Any issues with pdf to pdf workflow. Also any issues to look out for on Preps 6 or 7?

I know Preps 6 only works with PDF's, not sure about Preps 7. I highly doubt they would add the ability to place eps files back in after they have switched to a PDF imposition.

If you switch to a pdf to pdf workflow. Plan on testing, testing, testing. Not sure if you print separations out of Preps to control which colors are printing, we did. But I believe we lost that control when we switched to PDF. We ended up controlling the colors in the Nexus workflow.

Do you have the PDF part of Nexus, which I believe is called TotalRIP?

We do have the TotalRIP for Nexus. You are correct on using the pdf to pdf workflow on Preps 5.3. We do use separation on Nexus to send for plates. We use Neo to delete the unwanted separations. We'll try and figure out on how to use Nexus to exclude and include color for separation control. We have noticed when we generate a final pdf of our press lay it does take a while. What are your specs on your Mac if you are using one? We are also getting a quote from Kodak to upgrade from Preps 5.3 to 7.

We just upgraded our Mac computer to 3.33 GHz 6 Core Intel Xeon with 32 GB ram. When we launch Preps 5.3 it beach balls, but it will open. Is Preps only able to run in 32 bit mode? Even thou we have 32 GB of ram it will not use all the ram unless we run the Preps in 64 bit mode. We did call Kodak to get a demo and price on upgrading to Preps 7.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back