Preps 5 - PSM8 5 & 6 Color...

jnazario

I'm embarrassed to ask, but can anyone confirm for me if PREPS 5 and PSM8 RIP support a 5th and 6th color sepeation...without the old school method? Shouldn't Preps be able to support spot color plates beyond the 4 color (CMYK) process?

Yes, they can both support extra seps. By default, I believe that PSM converts spots to process, but you can change it to All to Spot or Specific Info in the RIP pane. Use Specific Info if you want to see what colors are recognized or if you want to do some swatch merging (this assumes you are sending composite postscripts or PDFs.)

Yes, we are using a PDF work-flow and have used PS as well. I have a new tech who is a bit lost and I'm not diverse in the actual workings of PREPS and PSM. Can you recommend supporting documentation specific to this issue?

I would go to eCentral (Kodak's support site) and download the manuals for both. Preps is really just passing the info through unless you are printing seps from Preps, so I would concentrate on the PSM end. It's actually pretty simple once you do it.

PS Level 1, 2 and 3

PS Level 1, 2 and 3

I have received conflicts with Preps 5.2 and PS/M regarding PS Level 1 and 2. From what I've read in the user manual, Preps doesn't have a problem with spot color.

Where I seem to be having the conflict is with PS/M rejecting PS Level 2. I would like to find the magic button to make this work!

I have received conflicts with Preps 5.2 and PS/M regarding PS Level 1 and 2. From what I've read in the user manual, Preps doesn't have a problem with spot color.

Where I seem to be having the conflict is with PS/M rejecting PS Level 2. I would like to find the magic button to make this work!

I sent everything at Level 3 and for the most part PS/M gobbled it all up. Are you printing to a PostScript file? That way always worked best for me - then I would simply copy it to a Hotfolder that PS/M recognized.

Need more info on your print settings.

DCurry...is it possible for you to give me a call and help us through a few issues. I'm sure it's just a setting here and there that is being overlooked. We are under extreme pressure to get several projects out and we are having nothing but issues. Moreover, trapping issues when converting a spot color job. My number is 800.760.0811. If I don't answer, press 0 and the operator will page me. Thank you.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back