Preps to Plate screening problems

T

What's up with Preps PDF to PDF???
I've had so many issues I'm getting scared to use it. Besides the dropped effects from ID and Illy, I've run into this new one.
Screen the Preps imposed PDF through Nexus Stochastic (ParagonOrganic) and I was getting bad patterning. Remove the Preps element and used Metrix for imposition and, you guessed it, no more patterning. Go figure???

Has anyone else had continuing issues with Preps PDF to PDF???

Running Nexus 8.6.5 on the Mac
Creo Magnus Platesetter
Preps v 5.3.1

I've seen some strange things letting Preps make the PDF. . Are you making the PDF directly from Preps or outputting PS and distilling? I personally output JDF from Preps and let Nexus Total RIP convert the JDF to PDF. Have had no issues this way.

I output PDF directly.
I tried the JDF route, but I get error messages that the "JDF is not a usable file" and another is: it can't seem to file the marks flat created when writing the JDF from Preps. Can you send me your Nexus WF?

I output PDF directly.
I tried the JDF route, but I get error messages that the "JDF is not a usable file" and another is: it can't seem to file the marks flat created when writing the JDF from Preps. Can you send me your Nexus WF?

Here it is attached to this post. Notice the folder mapping in the JDF to PDF module. That has to point to the root folder where the JDF marks are at. For example, mine points to network share named "file://NEXUS2/Nexus2_Data/PDF/" and in that folder is the job folders and inside the individual job folders are the JDF file, the JDF marks file, and the original PDF's that were used in the Preps imposition.

Attachments

• NX_TotalRIP_JDF_to_PDF.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 199
Thanks!!!!

I'll give it a go, but I was trying this before and I'm still getting errors. We have an unusual workflow for our server/folder structure. I'll keep trying, though. At least I know you've gotten it to work. Our Mertix JDF files work fine. I'm just having trouble with the Preps JDF??

When writing JDF out of Preps it makes the extra "Marks" folder. If I simply move the actual PDF created from Preps up one folder level to be with the 1-ups, then the JDF to PDF will work.

Thanks again for the WF!!

You are welcome.

I don't have to move the marks PDF from the folder Preps creates. Not sure why you are having to do that but hey...if it works that's all that matters. Good luck with it.

Ya, our server/file structure is kind different. I can't get the folder mapping to work right.
But...
It's working.

Thanks Again

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back