Press comparison

saint

My shop is looking to add a new half size 5 color press. We have been in contact with all of the brands and have been looking for a good deal since the economy is in the toilet (and will be for the next few years).

Some of the presses we like are the Sakuri 20x26 and the Shinohara 20x29.

Does anyone have any experience or insight with these machines?
Is there anything we should be careful of (known issues etc).

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks.

No experience with these, but you might consider Ryobi in there mix with the manufacturers mentioned.

They has a 20x27 (680) 23x29 (750) and 23x31 (780E). I have only worked with the small Ryobi's and not any new ones recently. I think other users on here would say they do a good job.

I worked at a shop that had a 29" Shino, and parts & service were always a PITA. It printed pretty ok, but the parts & service left a bad taste, and it will be replaced with another Heidelberg when it's time.

I realize the economy may make it seem like you should go *cheap*. I promise you, buy right and buy once - buy wrong and buy thrice.

I'm not a cheerleader because all manufacturers have issues. Give me an impossible project with an impossible turnaround - and even a used Heidelberg SM74 - and I'll get it done. Give me a CD74 or XL75 and I'll do two of those impossible projects, perfectly, in the same time.

Personally, Heidelberg. End of story. Avoid the Shino or Sak at all costs. Man? Maybe. Komori - probably not.

YMMV

WW

Avoid the Shinohara due to getting parts, but if you do purchase one keep these 2 people in mind for service and repairs. Frantz Graphic Service(ask for Sid) and Mechanical Maintenance Inc(ask for Tiger). These guys are experts on the Shin. and sometimes they can walk you thru an issue over the phone. By the way they are based out of Minnesota.

Virtually all the main manufactures out there are producing a good press. Being in the press industry for 15+ years, I believe I have bought and sold almost all brands.

You need to look at the full package being presented to you which of course includes price.
I tend to prefer most of the Japanese brands due to low cost of usage over the years and generally lower prices on the front end.

As a used equipment dealer, I would suggest looking into pre-owned equipment as well. You can get into near new equipment with the same prductivity as new for remarkable deals right now.

Check out Komori

Check out Komori

Two years ago we traded in 6 - half-size Heidelberg's ranging from a one color to a six-color w/coater on 2 Komori's and are light year's ahead. We purchased a six-color w/coater and a ten-color convertible perfector w/coater both have full automation. 70% of our work is ad agency work and we not only have to be able to produce, but produce at the highest quality levels. We just won 13 Best of Category Awards in our two state area PIA affiliate. Komori has a great piece of iron, automation and great people that stand behind their product.

Maybe upsize??

Maybe upsize??

Most modern semi or fully automated presses will turn over a shed load of good quality print at speeds printers thought were science fiction 15 or 20 years ago.. Have you thought about going bigger? make ready time on an automated 40" or bigger is similar to a 26/28" yet gives you so much more flexibility in terms of simply being able to run big sheet sizes if required and any longer runs on a 26 are halved. We recently replaced an old Roland rekord and an Akiyama 6col with a Komori 40" and now run 24hr/5day operation.. and still only just keep up!

We have been a Sakurai dealer for about 10 years. In the half size format Sakurai presses are as good as any machine built today. Sakurai is the only manufacturer that builds only fully automated presses. There isn't a stripped version, a medium version and a fully loaded version. When you buy a Sakurai it only comes fully loaded. This reduces the cost of manufacture, My experience is that when you compare Sakurai to other machines they are always a little less expensive when equipped the same way. This is not because of a sacrifice in quality but a different philosophy of manufacture. The Sakurai family believes that all printers today need the automation in order to compete. I believe in that philosophy too. Today you need to be able to do 6,8 or more jobs per shift when doing short run work.

Hi, I am getting an Akiyama Bestech 432 with SAPC and preset for size and thickness.
It is a 1991 model . Can you tell me if Akiyama started giving SAPC and preset in year 1991?
Also, how to inspect the SAPC? What do you reckon should b the price of the machine?

Please help

We have a Ryobi 780E and would not buy it again, has a whole list of problems and are just now getting them worked out (after 2 years). but I hear only good things about the 750 series. just make sure you go through xpedx not a Ryobi dealer. The dealer support sucks.

We've got three Shins. Two, six plus coaters 20x26+23x29 and a two color 20x26. And, we have a five color Heidelberg and two, two colors. We are also an award winning shop.
Twelve years ago we switched from all Heidelberg and got our first six color Shinohara because we were having problems with Heidelberg service AND parts.
With Heidelberg we were just a number. Shinohara actually cares about us. We have had techs here until 2:00 in the morning to fix our machine. Yes, they have less techs but the machines hardly break down and they print great. Our presses will go head to head with any manufacturer and I am confident you will not see any print quality difference. We fingerprint our presses every quarter and after twelve years our oldest six color will still lay down a dot with less than 15% mid tone gain at 12,000. Our 23x29 runs at 17,000 with the same print quality. See for your self, go to a shop with a ten year old Shinohara and a ten year old Heidelberg and listen to the machines and feel the side frames for vibration.
We would not hesitate to buy another Shinohara.

We have a Ryobi 780E and would not buy it again, has a whole list of problems and are just now getting them worked out (after 2 years). but I hear only good things about the 750 series. just make sure you go through xpedx not a Ryobi dealer. The dealer support sucks.

What issues are you having that are getting worked out? Did you buy it new?

Thanks

I've been impressed with the 2 KBA presses we've installed over the last few years. Well built and dependable with very good print quality.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back