Press issues....thoughts?

Hello SBD,

You have received lots of excellent advice regarding you Printing Problems, IMHO you need a Advisor guiding you through all the "Orgination Steps- through to Ink on Paper"

Your next port of call should be - Cal Poly - The Graphic Communications Institute, a leading USA Technical School of Printing.

Regards, Alois

Last edited:
When you say an "Advisor" do you mean someone independent from the printer....we have a rep but he works for the print company so to me, that is high on the biased side.

If you have been noticing that the issue has been getting increasingly worse over an 8 month period, and assuming that you publish monthly . . that would be 8 months of poor and poorer results . . . imho it's time for the printer to re-fingerprint their press and proofing system . . if they can't match their proofs that is likely the problem.

it is printed every other month.....so 4 months of an escalation of issues. Thanks for those comments....at least I have some terminology to use in asking questions.

Thanks everyone for your comments....I will keep an eye out for more so please, if anyone has anything further. But this gives me a good start on what to ask and how....we have another printer (very small and local) that does piece jobs for us and I did not even think of having a chat with him to get his opinion on this. He is in the office weekly so I will do that as well as suggest a press person come here to view our process and try to eliminate us as a source of any problem. Possible a correct viewing situation for proofing and address paper so we are more closely comparing apples to apples. I just got a proof of the next issues cover and it looks AWESOME.....but doubt it would when sent to press.

Alois suggestion is a winner, this forum has members with fantastic skill sets who consults on these issues, i would see availing yourself of a consultant's services as an this as an investment rather than a cost.

I spoke with the other printer we use who came into the office for a color sign off with another employee yesterday. He basically confirmed what you all are saying, that is it on the printer to match the proof and he went so far as to say it has nothing to do with my system, my monitor, the calibration or anything I am doing. If we were soft proofing (which we used to do with the last printer) then the monitor calibration etc are much more critical in the process as compared to when hard proofing and that the hard proof is the key element in a non soft proofing workflow. So at least I feel better between you all here, and talking with him. I am going to continue what I am doing for now as the editor is working directly with the rep for the printer. I suggested bringing in a consultant not affiliated with the printer but that is the extent of my ability to do anything....I am not the boss. So will just have to see how this plays out and hope for the best. Thanks again!

Hello SBD,

Good, you've made the first step in the right direction, more steps are required to achieved "Perfection in Print"

while you have many "Steps" to go ! make sure - that Print Control Strips are printed.

Regards , Alois

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back