Pressman to pressman

wilson

We have processless plates that are ecomaxx-t dig therm plates..we just got this system two weeks ago, the tests that we did went great. We have two heidelbergs 4/color mov with alcolor damp, (which is alcohol free) and a two color speedmaster with compacts. Here's the problem!
1. The mov runs mostly 4/color when starting out i have no problems with the print quality, as the run goes on i will start losing image in the red unit
on solids. You can call it blinding but it looks to, i dont know how to say it.
I guess mushy on the plate.

2. Both presses are losing fine screen dots in the black if it is printing just that color.

3. Sometimes not all the time i have problems rolling up with dampeners getting rid of all the emulsion off plate. But not to bad.

There is more issues but these are the worst. Of course when i called thech he is telling me it is calcium in the rollers, and we are using the wrong roller wash and, the wrong ink. Needless to say we are using all of their brand on the presses. Plus using the ink that they recommended.

So is there anybody out there who has a solution to these issues. I would like to hear from pressman first hand if poss. Please,please salesman out there we are not going to buy a new system but your comment on solving the problem would be appreciated.

Thanks
mike

What have you done about the suggestion from tech support that you may have a calcium build up problem?

Botcher makes a good product to remove calcium from the roller train.

Al

Al,

thanks for the reply, we did consider this, the whole press was gone through before we installed the unit.

Thanks,
mike

Wilson,

Do you have an offline clean out unit? You may want to ask Fuji about it, take some variables off the press.

For item 3, the Ecomaxx are white light sensitive..if they are under white light for more than an hour prior to being on press, the emulsion will require you run your dampening system longer before dropping the ink rollers. How much longer will depend on how long they were under white light.

Item 1 and 2 can be exposure related or possibly press chemistry, I am familiar with our Chemfree plate but have no experience with setting up Fuji. Even though you are using their brand of press products, are you using what they recommend for this plate? One wash may work but another may not for this particular plate. If you have not looked at calcium build up, ask them what they recommend to eliminate the calcium build up. They should have the expertise to help you trouble shoot this.

Regards,

Mark

Last edited:
Are the dots still on the plate or not?? For example are the screens on the plate disappearing or is it more of an ink transfer issue? And if so is this issue more out towards the ends of the image and less so in the middle of the plate? We have had some issues running our komori from running an 880x635 sheet, when going out to 1020x720 sheet size calcium build up from the edge of the smaller sheet affected dampening dramatically... The only solution was multiple calcium rinses and also the use of white vinegar that removed the rubbish and allowed the press to work properly...

Sounds like a water problem too much concentrate or running to cold
if you have the concentrate is to high in the water this well,
Attacked the magenta first as the pigments in the ink break down before the rest
If you put alcohol into a container and put a drop of each colour into the container with the alcohol
At the same time you will see the speed of the breakdown this is a good way to find out which ink.
As the best resistance and you don't have to waste time on the press.

Thanks for all responses, to answer GAZKL440 the rollers in the press were just gone through. We take rollers out every 6 month regardless for maint. Thanks though.
Spider I like your sugg. i know the con is ok in fact low, but i like the idea out coldness i do have chilled water I left it alone when we went alcohol free. thanks for sug, think of anything else please write.

Mike

Pressman to Pressman re Fountain Solutions

Pressman to Pressman re Fountain Solutions

Hello Mike,

I have posted lots of PDFs on Fountains Solutions -- just look for them under my name,

also read the " Web Offset Newsletter " Pdf recently posted

Regards, Alois Senefelder

Pepper, Just a recap on whats going on with these plates. I ajusted the crome roller to the water
Form with a greater stripe 1/4 max. What a world of difference. The start up is alot cleaner and, so
far is has been running great. Arthaven you may want to try this also if you have alcolor or similar.
The other press we have is a 40 in heid speedmaster with compacts i had to take the stripe of the form down to min. The plate runs drier and has been working gooooood also. Lets see what happens in a month. Thanks to everyone with the helpful suggestions.

MIKE

Ecomax Revised

Ecomax Revised

Thanks to all who responded to this Thread. For those of you who dont know we are running a process less Plates. Ecomax. It has been running smooth lately. I made the ajustments I mentioned earlier on the crome to the water form. Pepper did you try this?
Also, when I do the start up I turn the water damps on with my water setting very high, I do not put the inkers on, like they said to. I let the press run about 10 revolutions then start running sheets. I run about 20 sheets get it in register then continue on with makeready, While running sheets I turn waters down just till they scum then up a little, I found out that if you do this it will keep the emulsion towards the water form, you can see the shit come off on the sheet. The reason I turn the waters up on high at first it cleans the lead edge of the plate nicely. Try to run very little alcohol sub. I run 2 oz per gal.
I hope this helps who ever is having problems. I think pepper was having issues. (havent heard from him in awhile). Hows it going? I think overall I do like the system it has been running good. I did not think I would like it but it has been nice.

Thanks all,

Mike

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back