Presstek 52DI Hidden Costs-watch out******

Disappointed

Hi all,

We have 5.5 million on our 1 year old 52DI and following a lot of recent trouble with colour variation, discovered the plate cleaning rollers were both totally worn out.

Aparently they are consumables! Prices being bounced around on other forums are frightening and in the four digit area. Luckily we got our ones replaced free as compensation for some other unpleasantness!

They should definately be covered and we were not told of ANY expensive parts that were consumables when we bought it, something for discussion with our sales person i think.

We have just renewed our contract and i will be discussing this with Presstek soon, there is no published list of "consumables" or at least we were not given one, this means that anything can be called consumable and therefore chargeable.

There is also a pair of inflatable bladders that are equally expensive and supposedly consumable, we'll be discussing those too.

I must add that before this fault reared up, it had been running extremely well, but we have not made an excessive amount of plates as our average run is between 3000 and 20,000 sheets. So they have both worn out in 11 and a half months of average use!

52 di

52 di

As I have said before, Ptek has called the DI and I quote A consumable burning engine. You are at their mercy for supplies and service. You pay all that money for a 52 DI and yet you moan and complain about the way you are charged. Wake up and smell the waterless ink you are P owned now.
Stock holders need money man. The DI is nice but offers nothing a real printing press can do. If you need short runs you should have went toner or ink jet.
OG

Following on from my first post, I have just had a lengthy conversation regarding the consumable situation with our salesman, Dave Hughes.

Suffice to say that all our worries from the original post have now been laid to rest and we are very satisfied with the outcome of said conversation. As with the few previous minor problems we have suffered on our 52DI, they [Presstek] have come up with the goods yet again.

The rollers in question were quickly and easily replaced and the press is now happily chewing through another magazine totalling 250k sheets in 11 sections, one of its regular jobs.

Thanks to all those at Presstek who helped expedite this matter and get us going again.

Dave

I was surprised to see your post about them charging you for the plate cleaners, we've had our press for 2.5yrs now with extended warranty and almost everything is covered expect rollers. They changed the blotter on unit 1 for us just after the first year. Out of all the suppliers we have ever dealt with I found Presstek to be the best, they have always been there to get us up and running. We trust them so much that we bought a second DI34.

Ian

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back