Presstek Letterheads

minch

Can a Presstek DI press print letterheads that a client can then use in a laser printer?

I have been informed that letterheads printed on Presstek DI presses when passed through laser printers sometimes have an issue with ink melting - can anyone confirm or otherwise?

No I do not have a Presstek press - we print spot colour offset litho, but one of our clients may want to go from spot colour to process colour and we could outsource this job to a supplier with a Presstek DI press or not as the case maybe...

We have a Presstek 34DI. Ours is used for Letterhead and envelopes mostly. I have never had anyone complain that the ink ran when put through a laser printer. We have several clients that store the letterhead here and we imprint through our B & W printer with no ill effects.

DI's are INK on paper not TONER. Should not have any issues that would be different than any other offset printed letterhead.

We Do This All The Time Too...

We Do This All The Time Too...

We have a 52DI and print lots of forms, letterhead, envelopes and pre-printed shells which are all overprinted later. As the poster said earlier, this is an offset press with traditional inks and papers...the only difference is that the metal plates are made inside the press rather than on an off-line device like most people do. This is fundamentally very different than any traditional xerographic device like the Xerox, Kodak, Canon, Kyocera-Mita, HP or other print engines do. No matter what a digital printing vendor tells you, have them demonstrate it for you and test it by laser-over-printing them yourself afterwards and you can easily tell the difference! :)

Chuck Werninger | Director of Printing Services
University of Arkansas at Little Rock
O: 501-569-8634 | F: 501-569-3495 | M: 501-804-2245
[email protected] | Printing Services | University of Arkansas at Little Rock

this is an offset press with traditional inks: So I can use any ink I have in my shop now? Nothing special about the DI ink?

this is an offset press with traditional inks: So I can use any ink I have in my shop now? Nothing special about the DI ink?

Pre-press Supervisor

Pre-press Supervisor

To run pre-printed stock thru a laser printer, the ink must be absolutely dry. The same rules that apply hot foil stamping apply to laser printers. Use a good drier in your inks and preferably use wax free inks.

As the previous poster touched upon........they MUST be using wax free inks in their DI.

Most conventional inks are now wax free, but I believe some of the waterless inks still contain waxes. Check with your vendor to see which he is using.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back