Prinect On Windows Domain

Ritter

Prinect/Printready is traditionally setup as on a workgroup only and has been installed as such at my workplace. We are looking into a complete re-install/refresh when 4.5 comes our way. We'd like to bring all of the servers and Macs into our Windows Domain used for the rest of the building. Has anybody done this? My understanding is that the main reason workgroup is preferred over domain integration is in regards to Macs.

might slow cockpit down when searching for pdfs on the sytem. how many computers are in your workgroup? it may be a good idea to ask heidelberg

We'll definitely be talking it over with Heidelberg. I was looking to see if anybody on printplanet has a Prinect install integrated on a domain already.

There shouldn't be any problem with Prinect in a domain. Your Prinect user can be a local admin but a network user at the same time. In terms of searching for files there shouldn't be any delay. It all depends on the permissions of the directories/repositories. The Prinect server can be a member of the domain without using domain authentication. Meaning you can be listed as prinectserver.company.com (rather than "workgroup\prinectserver" but still login in locally to the Prinect server just like H. set you up for. Adding Mac's to the domain is super easy. They can, but don't need to, use Domain authentication for users. It's "neater" if everyone is in the same domain with respect to finding resources you are looking for and accessing them (single sign on type of setup). If everyone is in a workgroup then you have to make sure everyones user name and passwords are on each workstation/server. That's where the domain makes it "easier". But that's a relative term.

Tons of ways to do it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back