Prinergy upgrade

margadri

Hi
We were still using Prinergy 7.0 but once upgraded to 7.5, we started having warning about fonts, when plating, that we never had before. We have been given all the fixes in the possible world but basically the warning were just ignored, they were still there.
Management decided to reverse back to 7.0 and we have been there since. Now we really need to move on and upgrade. My question is: how many of you had fonts issues since using Prinergy 7.5 or above? Did you have to warn the clients about the font licensing issue? Thank you in advance. Any tip or suggestion is welcome

Perhaps you can explain the problem in a bit more detail. I have heard about problems with some Asian fonts as they are looking for a hardware dongle and 7.5 uses a floating license so the best way it to get your font vendor to supply you with a new font license, then you should be ok.

Last edited:
If I were you I wouldn't revert to 7.0
too many errors, too slow, just show to your bosses list of known bugs from workflow help online
you'd better upgrade to 8.1.1 - there are a lot of things fixed in that version.
as for your question - our kodak reps recommend us to ignore these errors on output

I meant this

Attachments

• photo7115.jpg
    photo7115.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 222
Hi
We were still using Prinergy 7.0 but once upgraded to 7.5, we started having warning about fonts, when plating, that we never had before. We have been given all the fixes in the possible world but basically the warning were just ignored, they were still there.
Management decided to reverse back to 7.0 and we have been there since. Now we really need to move on and upgrade. My question is: how many of you had fonts issues since using Prinergy 7.5 or above? Did you have to warn the clients about the font licensing issue? Thank you in advance. Any tip or suggestion is welcome

In the version of Adobe PDF Print Engine in 7.5 and above, according to Kodak, Adobe changed the font security which is what causes the errors. We have been running 7.5 and now 8.0 for over a year now and we turned off the setting that cementary posted which is in the "Render" part to the process plan. We have not had a single instance of a font problem at output since we changed that setting to ignore.

Also after 7.5 there are issues with trapping files with certain freeware fonts the trapping will fail. The only workaround we have found is to either have the customer change the font or we outline that font with Pitstop. Not sure if that is part of the Adobe font security setting or not. But I suspect it is because of a font license issue since when it happens it seems it is always a freeware font that causes it. In either case don't expect Kodak to address either of the above issues.

Kodak released Prinergy 8.1.2 last week. I plan to upgrade to that soon.

If I were you I wouldn't revert to 7.0
too many errors, too slow, just show to your bosses list of known bugs from workflow help online
you'd better upgrade to 8.1.1 - there are a lot of things fixed in that version.
as for your question - our kodak reps recommend us to ignore these errors on output

We already reverted a while ago.
Wasn't my choice.
I follow orders.
Appreciate the answer
Thank you very much.

Last edited:
In the version of Adobe PDF Print Engine in 7.5 and above, according to Kodak, Adobe changed the font security which is what causes the errors. We have been running 7.5 and now 8.0 for over a year now and we turned off the setting that cementary posted which is in the "Render" part to the process plan. We have not had a single instance of a font problem at output since we changed that setting to ignore.

Also after 7.5 there are issues with trapping files with certain freeware fonts the trapping will fail. The only workaround we have found is to either have the customer change the font or we outline that font with Pitstop. Not sure if that is part of the Adobe font security setting or not. But I suspect it is because of a font license issue since when it happens it seems it is always a freeware font that causes it. In either case don't expect Kodak to address either of the above issues.

Kodak released Prinergy 8.1.2 last week. I plan to upgrade to that soon.

Thank you very much Joe.
I will pass the comments to management.
I knew the answer but they asked me to confirm with other users.
Appreciate the input as always.
Regards

Perhaps you can explain the problem in a bit more detail. I have heard about problems with some Asian fonts as they are looking for a hardware dongle and 7.5 uses a floating license so the best way it to get your font vendor to supply you with a new font license, then you should be ok.

When we upgraded to 7.5 we were forced to use the ignore font errors because of the new Adobe licensing.
Most of our clients use dodgy fonts downloaded from the internet. Warning and errors when plating were making the management worried.
I know that if it has to go wrong, warning or not, will go wrong but Management wasn't happy about it and made us revert to 7.1.
They now ask me to check out other sources and opinions because Kodak in pressing for us to update ASAP. Thank you for answering

When we upgraded to 7.5 we were forced to use the ignore font errors because of the new Adobe licensing.
Most of our clients use dodgy fonts downloaded from the internet. Warning and errors when plating were making the management worried.
I know that if it has to go wrong, warning or not, will go wrong but Management wasn't happy about it and made us revert to 7.1.
They now ask me to check out other sources and opinions because Kodak in pressing for us to update ASAP. Thank you for answering

As Cementary suggested skip 7.5 and go direct to 8.1.1. On the other hand how did you manage to get back to 7.1 from 7.5 without nuking the Oracle database?

As Cementary suggested skip 7.5 and go direct to 8.1.1. On the other hand how did you manage to get back to 7.1 from 7.5 without nuking the Oracle database?

Seems like there is only 8.1.2. Left. Don't see 8.1.1
as for Oracle dB - backup + job export I think

Seems like there is only 8.1.2. Left. Don't see 8.1.1
as for Oracle dB - backup + job export I think

There is actually the rehost tool for the database but if I am correct you roll back from Oracle 12 to 11, and that can be painful. Just done an upgrade from 7.5 to 8.1.1 and it was surprisingly painless as you don´t need to rehost the DB.

AHAHA. That was a little nightmare. We exported all job made in 7.5 and reimported them later. As you mentioned Oracle reverted to before the upgrade. Thankfully it was for a short period only we had 7.5. :mad::mad::mad:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back