Prinergy workshop

baritone

We have Prinergy 5 and we are having issue with workshop. is there any way in workshop that when you create a new job group it will create a new job folder with the same group name and put the jobs in that folder and so on. Like job group 100-199 and it will create folder with same name and put job 100-199 then when we create a new job group it will do the same. It's hard to deal with a job folder in our nas drive with like 12,000 jobs in a job folder instead of group folder with 100 per folder. In workshop its in the group but in nas drive its in 1 job folder with folder of each job. its hard on the macs because it take sometimes 20 mins to open the job folder and look on each job.

As far as I know there is not a way to do that. That is a lot of jobs to have active in your system. Any possibility of archiving the great majority of them?

They didn't buy the archiving license so i cant archive and when i try exporting and destroying jobs it doesnt take the userdefine and job history with it. Is there any other way of doing it. we are thinking of upgrading to 7 if kodak ever give us a call back. We called and left messages and even filled out the request form for sales but no call for almost 3 months from them. If not we might go with apogee instead. I was thinking of moving the files manually and keeping the job in workshop and when needed put it back to same location when need to work on job.

I don't think there is another way to do it. I would test your last idea thoroughly on non-critical test jobs before trying that. I tried to fool Prinergy once doing something similar to that and Prinergy wouldn't work with the job when I put it back with the exact same name that it had before. That Oracle database somehow knew it had been moved and then replaced.

I would put a full on assault on Kodaks phone system until someone talks to you about the upgrade. It amazes me how you have to jump through hoops to get Kodak to sell you something. No wonder they were recently in bankruptcy. If you get the upgrade be sure to buy the archive license.

I will try that on very old jobs to see if it will work. What if I export job and copy user define folder and when I import the job back I can transfer the user define back?

I'm Sorry I am new to the printing business as an IT. I been working with computer since 1997.

I suppose you could just try manually zipping the whole job folder and then removing the folder while leaving the job in Prinergy. Then if you need to use it again you could unzip it and bring it back to the jobs folder and you would still have everything. But I would definitely test this on a non-critical job. The main problem with doing this is your Oracle database is probably already huge with that many jobs in it. We keep around 400 - 600 jobs max at any one time and our database is up around 2.5-3 gb in size. I can only imagine how large it would be with 12,000 plus jobs in it. That has got to be creating a drag on the whole system.

Thanks for the information and ill test a couple of things also. Will keep you posted on what i find out.

No Title

Can you Export the folders? I attached a screen shot. It zips the job for archiving, and you can move them to another location for storage.

Attachments

• photo5449.jpg
    photo5449.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 226
it export everything except the UserDefineFolder and Job History but I can export and then copy UserDefineFolder then reverse back and it should be all there.

I tried the export and keeping the UserDefinedFolder yesterday and imported it today and it worked fine with all the data. So it's going to be fun creating each folder to house the zip and UserDefineFolder for each job.

When I export then i run a script to make folders in mac applescript it helps on that part now i need to figure out what to do about moving the UserDefinedFolder

tell application "Finder"
set selected to selection
set current_folder to item 1 of selected
set mlist to every file of current_folder
repeat with this_file in mlist
set cur_ext to name extension of this_file
set new_name to text 1 thru -((length of cur_ext) + 2) of (name of this_file as text)
set new_folder to make new folder with properties {name:new_name} at current_folder
move this_file to new_folder
end repeat
end tell

Another question how can i remove jobs that are gone bec the old server died and when i try to destroy it its not removing that job

Regarding the lack of contents in the UserDefinedFolders while using the Export method. From my conversations with Kodak this was deliberate as it was partially developed as a tool to share Workshop jobs with other vendors without giving them the keys to the kingdom a.k.a. the native input files.

OK thanks. Right now I'm having ton of fun exporting the make folder with a script then go back and copy over user folder to each job. Im trying to figure out like \\nas\araxi_jobs\*.*\UserDefinedFolders to \\abc\archive\100-199\*.*\ then it will do next job and so on vs doing it manually or get an archive license on our next upgrade or if we change to apogee

Another question how can i remove jobs that are gone bec the old server died and when i try to destroy it its not removing that job

The only way I've found is to have Kodak do it. I believe they have to remove the database entry.

Regarding the lack of contents in the UserDefinedFolders while using the Export method. From my conversations with Kodak this was deliberate as it was partially developed as a tool to share Workshop jobs with other vendors without giving them the keys to the kingdom a.k.a. the native input files.

That plus they wouldn't be selling many archive licenses if it exported everything.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back