Print shop dye jobs

LM_Ike

It has been 30 plus years in this business for me. I think it is fair to say this is a male dominated industry. My co-workers and I are well into our forties and fifties. Lately I've noticed some of the guys hair color has changed a bit. What hair I have left is more of a grayscale than color. Hard for me, the prepress guy, to believe these macho press guys are dying their hair. Some better than others. The more I thought about I wondered who would know more about color than people in our industry. So I got the nerve to go ask a few questions: who signs off on color and were is the proof? I believe one job was out of register and four color black because he had a purple tint, or was that done on purpose? Anyway I was wondering if this mid life crisis was going on in every shop. Sorry, just had a little time on my hands

I too have been in the bus 30+ years. If I had hair I would do something different every six months or so! We send a proof to press with each job. Depending on the nature of the job (Client,Cost, etc) Pressroom manager or including sales, production manager
Also a four color black taking on a color cast would be related to the color build (rich black) ours is 50/40/25/100. I would check this first

We do commercial printing, but our main line is photo printing. I am in the biggest buying group in that industry and we have found that the average of an owner in the group is 59 years old. Most of them are like me, way more than 18% gray ( photo joke). Sadly there is no exit plan for most of these owners and passing the business to children is much less common than was formerly the case. I have a very talented manger who is 32 and have been setting them up to take over in 5-7 years. But, that is a long time in any business now, so who knows.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back