Printed pages stick together

Hi, can someone help please. We are a book printer and have been printing many books. Recently 2 of our printed books have a problem of the pages sticking together. 1 book has a flood varnish, the other not. What caused these pages to stick together? If it is an ink issue, then shouldn't all the printed books have these problem too? Why only these 2? Could it be the ink not drying fast enough?

Any one with any suggestions that I should be looking into?

Appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks.

You didn't mention whether or not that the pages were already through the bindery or if they are still in the pile. Also is it printed sheetfed or web? Are the pieces sticking together all over the printed sheet or is the sticking only in a specific area?

If the job was printed sheetfed, I would check the spray powder unit to make sure that it is not clogged.

Hi Bob

It is printed sheetfed. The spray power is ok. It is only after binding that we noticed that the pages stick together. Also in the black pages, you see lots of dust specks. The funny thing is that not all pages are affected.

Hi there,

you say the jos is sheetfed, are the only pages affected localised by sections? only one 8pp set out of the job is giving you the issues? Do you perfect bind the jobs or stitch them? are they hot guled on the spine or not? are any of the sections which give you issues situated directly by any heat sources in storage? More info is required, if the inks are reactivating (re-wetting)at a point in the process where unset ink is in combination with a source of preassure then sticking may occur,is the job varnished or sealed? aqueous or varnish?

Hope to hear from you soon Paul

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back