Printers on Innovation

Cory Smith

198-Printers-on-Innovation.png

I have heard all of these over the last 40 years... funny, most of those businesses are now out of business... go figure.

Unfortunately, on the other side of the coin is, "Yeah, we could do that if we had a newer whatsit machine, but we don't have the $60,000 to replace our old one." Some innovation comes with a hefty price tag.

I did not think much about equipment... what I saw here was poor attitude unwillingness to adapt... an believe me I have had a lot of adapting to do with the changes in printing technology over the past 40 years.

Back in 2001 we adopted a leading/bleeding edge technology - learned a lot - bled a lot - now we wait until the second wave of a "new" technology comes around. Finds it save a lot of bandaids and transfusions . . .:)

When people are discussing innovation in the printing community, they tend to be talking about buying some new technology that has already gone through many steps in the innovation process. Of course many of these new concepts might not be totally worked out properly and that can cause problems. Sometimes big problems, but I would not call the process of buying a new technology "innovation". It is more a process of early adoption.

Even though I am very keen on innovation, it is not something people should jump into without a very good reason and with very good knowledge to back it up. So it is very understandable that printers, who are mostly quite small operations, are wiser to wait and see.

On the other hand, innovation is critical to the health of the printing industry and that requires the large printing companies to be more involved in risk taking for the benefit of all. I personally think the large printing companies have let the industry down and not taken their responsibility to support new thinking. They have not been leading in the effort to rethink the process for the future benefit of all. They have the resources but do not use them. They also wait, just like a small printer and see what becomes available on the market. A very short lighted mentality.

Who should have the most knowledge of the process? This is an interesting question people should think about. I have been at press manufacturers and they have said they follow GATF for knowledge. Some have said that they don't really understand the process. On the other hand, some people at graphic arts institutions and other researchers seem to think the press manufacturers understand the process more than they do. Printers go to their vendors for advice.

The people who should know the most about the process are the ones who run it all the time. That means printers and the large printers should have the resources to get the most knowledge from their operations but they don't. Press manufacturers actually don't run a lot of paper and therefore can't understand as much as a printer could potentially know.

An interesting observation I have made regarding engineers that work for press manufacturers. On Linkedin, people have profiles of their background. Most engineers, who work at press manufacturers, where they design mechanical and control systems for presses, do not say offset is one of their knowledge skills. They don't care about the process. They design engineering systems but have no interest in what is actually done to run the process. They leave that up to the press operator.

True competitive advantage will not come from buying the latest technology but from developing some of it internally based on better knowledge and protecting it with patents and keeping trade secrets.

Innovation has been at the forefront of our industry, take for example our commitment to the environment where once print was regarded as a dirty industry now every consumable is recycled, paper is sourced from sustainable plantations or recycled stock, VOC's are eliminated where possible, intense competition has seen a focus on reducing waste, silver-less imaging, CtP, vegetable oil inks, no-dioxin bleaches, biofuel use in paper production, press auto washes, water-based “solvents” and remote digital proofing for example meant that in 2007 the printing industry was 97% less damaging to the environment than it was in 1990 - source

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back