Printing complex VDP files

namelessentity

Does anyone have any tricks for stuff like this? Canon's PrimsmaSync controller doesn't support PPML, so the best I can do is RIP the VDP as a PDF.
Usually it works without much issue since it's generally just text, but sometimes we get image heavy, or in this case, complex vector artwork and it cripples the RIP. I just sent a 16 page doc as a sample file and it took 1 minute per sheet to process through my hotfolder :mad:.

so the best I can do is RIP the VDP as a PDF.

Hi namelessentity,

When you wrote the above statement, my first thought was that you're generating a raster PDF vs an object based PDF? Is that correct or am I reading it out of context. It it's object based, there might be ways to generate or optimize a more RIP-friendly PDF. What software were you using to create the PDF and what settings were used (e.g. PDF format, compression, X Objects?, etc.)

Greg

This specific file has a very detailed vector background with variable text for each company name.
The VDP is coming out of In-Design with XMPIE.
Our art department does all the output, so I'm not super familiar with all the terms.

I've uploaded a sample of one of the pages. Excuse the typo.

Also, I run a Canon Imagepress 6010s.

Attachments

• sample file.pdf
    980.8 KB · Views: 239
I recently had a job with an extremely complex vector background like that, and it killed the RIP for our Xerox 1000's - I left it trying to process the file for about 1/2 an hour and came back and the progress bar barely even moved. I converted the background to a raster image and it ran right through without a hiccup. Might be something to try.

If you're running XMPie, have prepress run a diagnostic preflight on the job. It may pinpoint your issue

I did something similar and my workaround was to Rasterize the background (like PrintIT suggested) and it worked out fine.

No Title

It's no wonder it's killing your RIP. Take a look at the number of objects that make up that background. Rasterize the background image!

With PitStop you can separate the elements into layers (text on a layer, graphics on a layer, images on a layer) to get at what you need to work on.

Attachments

• photo5486.jpg
    photo5486.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was purchased from one of those art websites like dreamstime.
We rasterized the graphic and it significantly improved the rip speed.

thank you all for the help.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back