Printing files on server - good solution?

Martin_85

Hi all,

I would like to ask you for your solution - We have two graphic designers (both on Mac). Everyone have some printing files on the Mac. But I prefer, that will be all the printing data on the server. I would like to have access to all the printing files from first or second Mac. And access for me from Win. I tried made one folder on server under Microsoft server, but find anything from Mac was very long (15 min). I do not know, why? Do you have better solution? Cloud? Is it safe?

Thank you very much.
Martin

Hi Martin,

When you say "printing files", do you mean native documents (e.g. Indesign or Illustrator files + associated artwork/fonts) or do you mean PDF files? It's a good idea to store files on a server versus just on the local designers machine, especially for backup purposes. When you say "anything from the Mac was very long", do you mean opening, copying over, printing?

Greg

Hi Greg,

thank you for your quick answer!

Printing files - Source files from our clients (marketing, creative designers,..), then our PDF to approval process, AI, PSD and PDF to CTP. So everything.

Finding files is very long. When can I find specific SAP code with artworks on the server, I fill in to box (round cyrcle) and I have to wait very long time for the find.

xdebug-screenshot.jpg

Thanky you.

Hi Martin,

When you connect to the file server, I assume you are using SMB as the protocol versus having an AFP share? That will help with general speed. If you're doing searches on a remote Windows server, Spotlight won't work. Whenever you do a search, it has to scan through all the files. There is a 3rd party solution you can try which supposedly allows Spotlight to function on Windows shares. I haven't used it myself, but info can be found here: http://www.acronis.com/en-us/mobility/mac-windows-compatibility/ It's the old ExtremeZ-IP product. It's now owned by Acornis with a new name.

Greg

Hi Martin,

HELIOS Universal File Server software from HELIOS addresses all your concerns. It runs on all major server platforms to provide cross-platform support for Mac, Windows, web, and mobile clients. It also includes cross-platform Spotlight search, so server files can be found in seconds by Mac, Windows, web, and mobile users. It also includes a high-end print server, with GUI based administration from Mac and Windows clients. An optional suite of prepress solutions supports workflow automation, remote soft proofing and annotations, PDF preflighting, ICC based image conversion, etc. See http://www.helios.de

Tom Hallinan
HELIOS Software GmbH

Many thanks for all! We tried EasyFind and works well. Finding the files is about 10 second. It is good result. Thank you!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back