printing is an art or science

bspillai78

hi all,

is there any calculations & theroms are there to opproch day to day print related problems,
if it is so pls share,

Thanks

balaji.s

Well acording to the renesance view of art it wasn't unrelated to science :)
I personally think it is craft.

The artist, or designer, must accept the limitations of the current process.
Critique of the form is in the realm of art.
When expectations aren't met, we lean on science to better understand the real world that our ideas are presented in, often finding that it is due to our limited understanding of the materials we are working with that means we have unrealistic expectations, or have not created what we thought we created.

Science helps us meet the predicted results.

The craftman knows how to balance the two, art and science, during production to parry the dissapointment of the uneducated, or at least raise awareness of the lurking disaster.

FlightCheck for print problems

FlightCheck for print problems

Funny you use that phrase. I often say that prepress and printing are both an art and a science. (Yes, craft is a perfect term actually Lukas)

I would recommend running preflight reports with FlightCheck v6.75 (Full disclosure, I am from Markzware, the developer of this stand-alone software), which supports most all major print file formats that you will get delivered to you from customers. This way you can provide detailed, yet easy to understand problem reports to your customers (The art side) so that they can better understand the science side of it.

See:
Preflight Tool for Adobe InDesign, QuarkXPress and more - FlightCheck

Friendly Regards,
David Dilling
Markzware

Printing is neither an art or science. The advent of technology has made printing a manufacturing process. 20 years ago I was considered a craftsman, now I am considered a technician. The difference? about $5.00 an hour!

Regards,
Todd

Printing is neither an art or science. The advent of technology has made printing a manufacturing process. 20 years ago I was considered a craftsman, now I am considered a technician. The difference? about $5.00 an hour!

Regards,
Todd

$5 less an hour?

Print is a service industry that incorporates a manufacturing component. In some market segments the manufacturing aspect is large relative to the service component (e.g. directory printing). In other market segments the manufacturing aspect is much smaller relative to the service component (e.g. variable data direct mail).
Technology has always been involved - right from the start - so I don't think it's right to say that technology has made it a manufacturing process. That component has always been present.

The "art" aspect is in understanding individual customer needs and requirements and being able to communicate effectively and set expectations and define performance appropriately. It is the human element.

The "science" part is in creating and managing and efficient and effective manufacturing process.

best, gordon p

Years ago I would say it was art done by Skilled Craftsman. Color Cameramen,
Dot Etchers, Strippers, Now Printing is seen as a process computers took
the Craft out of Printing. The real question is are we better for it?

I think we are still craftsman ,! The balancing of science, engineering, theories and concepts then the art of putting it all together will keep us there for a few more years. With all the automation you still have to worry with slur, dot gain, chemistry mix, mechanics , cause and effect and the relationship to it all.

Well I think Printing is an Adventure something new all the time and never the same. Here in California you never know what's going to happen next. Heck we will be useing water to clean up our presses if the EPA dont stop.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back