Printing older version illustartor files

Anita

Hi all,

I have an Illustrator 10 file. When I open it in Illustrator CS 3 , a message pops up saying legacy text must be updated. When resaving it, it shows that the file has been converted. I would like to know what is it that changes here although visually I see no difference. I intend to keep my original file as is without any changes in it.
Thanks in advance.

Anita

Re: Printing older version illustartor files

between Illy 10 and CS3, Adobe re-wrote the text engine (among other things), that's why it asks you to update the "legacy" text.
When you are opening the file in a newer version of the software, it will want to rename it "converted" by default.
If you look really close to the text, you will see a slight kerning/tracking difference.
Depending on the font used, you will see more or less of this effect.

Thanks very much for your reply.
So, it looks like I shouId not update the text if I want to retain my original file as is.

Best Regards,
Anita

Edited by: Anita Nerkar on Jun 13, 2008 2:14 AM

or you could just do a "save as" so the original stays intact, but then you would have two files (the orig Illy 10 and the newer CS3).

I usually don't worry about the updating part, it doesn't do that much harm. I don't have Illustrator 10 on my Mac, and all the other operators have the newer versions of Illustrator as well, so it's not a problem for us.
And most of our customers have the newer version as well.
The only ones we have trouble with is the guys that make our steel rule and embossing dies, their CAD software require Illy 10 or older, so we just do a "save as" to Illy 10 and email it off.

good to go

cheers,
David

When you are asked to update the text
you have the option of also saving the text as is (unusable)
so when you have the file open in the newer version
you have an FPO version of the type available of adjust the "new" text to.

MSD

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back