Printing "raised ink"?

The raised printing comes from laying a resin powder on the cards as they pass on down the delivery and then run through an oven. In the oven the resin melts and becomes raised printing. I worked for a Wedding invitation printer, for a short while and that was how they do it. The raised printing method is called thermography.

We used to do thermography, to do spot thermography or to do full coverage on 4 colour work we would print the job then create a print plate with what we wanted to thermograph and print it with clear varnish then thermograph that, you could do some quite cool effects that way. also had the occasional small fire when paper used to curl and catch inside the conveyor, which made it exciting too!

Bunstar, great comment. In all the years we have been doing thermography I hadn't thought about just overprinting with clear varnish and doing it that way. Thats why this forum is so great, exchanging ideas!!

Wow, this thread brings back some unpleasant memories of working summers in a business card shop. 98 degrees outside and I'm stuck in a small press room fitted with a pizza oven trying to scrub reflex blue off my hands.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back